• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fig ideas?

pedie

It's that time again...fresh figs dropping from trees. What are your favorite ways to use them?

So far I have made a fig and onion compote to serve with roast pork; a savory fig and goat cheese tart, and stuffed fig, prosciutto and gorganzola appetizer.

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

Fig Preserves with Candied Lemon Peel

Fresh Fruit Tart - Pate Brisee + Creme Patissiere + Fresh Sliced Figs + Apricot Glaze nappage

Fig Roasted Chicken (Recipe Here->Blossom Vinegar's Fig Roasted Chicken) Note: The recipe omits 1/4c water, which is needed). If you're using fresh figs, adding them toward the end would be better.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

It's that time again...fresh figs dropping from trees.  What are your favorite ways to use them?

So far I have made a fig and onion compote to serve with roast pork; a savory fig and goat cheese tart, and stuffed fig, prosciutto and gorganzola appetizer.

A few favorites...

A fig-and-lamb tajine

Pan-roasted boneless quail stuffed with figs

Bresaolo with mostarda di fichi

Figs stuffed with almonds and dipped in chocolate

Just be sure to serve Imodium with the after-dinner coffee...

Stuffed with goat cheese, wrapped in proscuitto, drizzled with honey and baked until warmed through.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Stuffed with goat cheese, drizzled with honey, sprinkled with black pepper and broiled......

This is my favorite way to have them :wub: - and I am allergic to honey!

But I take the irritation and eat them every season like this anyways (sigh only one like 2 times a week though)

Anyhow, I also like stuffing chicken breasts with figs, goat cheese and thyme.

This was an app/VIP canape we used to do alot. Slice the fig in half lengthwise and push the fig into some granulated sugar so the exposed side is covered in sugar. In a very hot pan with a little oil, quickly caramelize the figs for about a minute. Throw in a teaspoon or so of butter and baste. Remove to a paper towel. Serve caramelized side up with shaved Reggiano and slowly reduced balsamic vinegar and a little sel gris.

Sweet/Sour/Salty/Crunchy/Warm/Cool all in one bit. Its great.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Well, I rather like this recipes for baked figs.. But you can also substitute figs in this clafoutis recipe or in this tart. I leurve figs... :wink:

You MUST tell us what you did with them.

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

The broiled figs with mascarpone and pistachios (Figs for a Thousand and One Nights) from Nigella Lawson's "Forever Summer" are dead simple to make and drop-dead delicious to eat. When I prepared them for a recent dinner party, I cooked a few extra so I could choose the most attractive to serve.

I plated the figs -- which open like exotic flowers -- carefully and our guests were emitting little moans of delight when my husband decided to go to the kitchen to get more coffee.

He returned bearing the ugly old baking sheet that held the not-ready-for-their-close-ups figs and proclaimed: "Look. There's more!" and proceeded to pass them around. I was Not Pleased, but every fig was devoured.

Last weekend, using some delicious figs we picked up at our local farmer's market, we created a "tart" of sorts on puff pastry. It was, specifically:

Fig, Caramelized Onion, Bacon Lardon, and Pt. Reyes Blue Cheese Tart with Creme Fraiche

It was scrumptious. We've been making our own Creme Fraiche for the last several months and our current batches are gooey and unctuous. The combination on this tart of salty, crunchy, creamy, and sweet is tough to beat.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

My favorite summer sandwich is fresh figs and rosemary goat cheese on a cibatta toasted on the grill or under the brolier.

yum!

Stuffed with goat cheese, drizzled with honey, sprinkled with black pepper and broiled......

Double YUM!

My favorite is toasting them and drizzling balsamic syrup on top before serving on top of watercress or a spring green salad. Goat cheese also works well here.

"In a perfect world, cooks who abuse fine cutlery would be locked in a pillory and pelted with McNuggets."

- Anthony Bourdain

Last weekend, using some delicious figs we picked up at our local farmer's market, we created a "tart" of sorts on puff pastry.  It was, specifically:

Fig, Caramelized Onion, Bacon Lardon, and Pt. Reyes Blue Cheese Tart with Creme Fraiche

All these ideas sound delicious, but I'm writing this one down for when I have an oven that really works. I can actually envision a pizza version of this cooked on the grill.

Lucky are those who have figs dropping from trees around them!

• 4 weeks later...

Small bump...My landlords just gave me about a dozen figs off of the tree in the backyard. :wub:

My biggest concern isn't what to do with them, so much as how long they'll last and the best way to store them. Thoughts/ideas welcomed. Thanks!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Ahem. 40 mins after that last post, and I have a fig clafoutis in the oven! So that crisis was averted, but for the future, I really would like to know about storage/shelf life of fresh figs! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."