• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Atlanta food board

potsticker

Not to compete with eGullet (like anything can...), I decided to give my own go at an Atlanta-specific board. I was motivated a lot by www.portlandfood.org, and I think with Atlanta's growing culinary industry, it'd be good to have something more Atlanta specific.

What do you guys think? I have it currently set up at www.atlantafood.org.

Any suggestions would be great, especially category ideas.. It's pretty basic right now, and it'll get more prettified, but otherwise, it's ready for YOU to register and hopefully build a good community.

Thanks!

Edited by potsticker (log)

There is a very good local food website that includes a discussion forum - atlantacuisine.com. It just so happens the forum is down right now (the first time I've seen that happen in three years), but keep checking back. I think it's the best place to go for Atlanta food discussions, far more extensive than EG or Chowhound for Atlanta-specifics. Each has its place of course.

They also put out a monthly newspaper that is very nice, host coupons to local restaurants, host a restaurant job board, etc.

Not to compete with eGullet (like anything can...), I decided to give my own go at an Atlanta-specific board.  I was motivated a lot by www.portlandfood.org, and I think with Atlanta's growing culinary industry, it'd be good to have something more Atlanta specific.

What do you guys think?  I have it currently set up at www.atlantafood.org.

Any suggestions would be great, especially category ideas..  It's pretty basic right now, and it'll get more prettified, but otherwise, it's ready for YOU to register and hopefully build a good community.

Thanks!

The best thing you could do is post reviews and get things stirring. Atlantacuisine is the undisputed King, but different styles, different voices, different angles never hurt anyone.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

suggestion: don't bother moderating it. the best board i've ever been on was unmoderated, and the worst have had what i consider to be pretty heavy handed.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

As a once or twice a year visitor to Atlanta - the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. Note that I wouldn't have a totally unmoderated board. There are a sufficient number of foam at the mouth jerks in the world who can ruin everything for everyone. OTOH - I'd use a light hand. Let people speak their minds. Robyn

I don't think I'm one with enough credentials to be holding a heavy hand. This was more of an idea that I thought would be filling a niche (which I now realize was already filled in a way). Anyways, it'll be up, and I'd like to post a review or something soon. I really need to get out more. Thanks for the support, everyone.

Edited by potsticker (log)

There is another blog running on Atlanta dining as well by Blissful Glutton who posts here and on Flickr:

Blissful Glutton Blogspot

I have to concur with those who think that "more is better" when it comes to dining locally ... after all, new restaurants pop up weekly like mushrooms after a rain ....

Go for it! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

• 1 month later...