• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the best vanilla extract?

kalyson

Thanks for the information.  I really appreciate it.  I would still like to know about the vanilla from those two countries: India & Papua/New Guinea.

Frontier sells vanilla from India & Papua/New Guinea. I haven't tried the Indian, but I have the Papua/New Guinea and love it. It is rich and fragrant, without the sharp smell of alcohol that some vanillas exhibit.

Ilene

Thanks for the information.  I really appreciate it.  I would still like to know about the vanilla from those two countries: India & Papua/New Guinea.

Frontier sells vanilla from India & Papua/New Guinea. I haven't tried the Indian, but I have the Papua/New Guinea and love it. It is rich and fragrant, without the sharp smell of alcohol that some vanillas exhibit.

I bought the Singing Dog vanilla. It seems fine, a bit sweeter (?) than the Wilton but it specifies that it contains no sugar.

FYI: Doo-doo-doo-doo. I had to buy the Singing Dog vanilla. My DH and I are gourd artisans and our studio is named Singing Dog Studios because the dogs we had when we first went into business used to howl at the sound of the rotary drill.

Furthermore, the daughter of my next-door-neighbor/friend/landlady here in Moab rescues New Guinea Singing Dogs...a dog which few people should have.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

On March 1, 2009, Cook's Illustrated issued a report on vanilla extract. They rated the brands listed below, and declared McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract as the overall winner, noting its "strong flavor and sweet undertone." They also cited the following tasters' comments about McCormick's: "This vanilla won top praise for being 'strong,' 'rich,' and 'spicy,' with a 'sweet undertone.' It had 'clear vanilla flavor with nice balance' and notes of 'dried fruit,' 'caramel,' and 'chocolate,' 'like Kahlúa or Bailey’s.' In pudding, it was deemed 'a step above,' with an extremely 'pleasing finish.'"

Adams Pure Vanilla Extract

CF Sauer Co. Gold Medal Imitation Vanilla Extract

CF Sauer Co. Pure Vanilla Extract

Durkee Imitation Vanilla Flavor

Durkee Pure Vanilla Extract

McCormick Gourmet Collection Organic Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract

McCormick Premium Imitation Vanilla Extract

McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract

Morton & Bassett Pure Vanilla Extract

Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract

Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract

Spice Islands Pure Vanilla Extract

Edited by RDCollins (log)

Douglas Collins

Hermosa Beach, California

Un dîner sans vin est comme un jour sans soleil.