• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2007 Dessert-athon

gfron1

He's so focused, he's begun to sweat sugar instead of salt. Be afraid!

I think that's what they call "Manggy Nectar," lol. And yuck. Who knew I could be so corny? :raz:

Thanks for the vote of confit-dence. (Thanks, I'll be here all week)

Before I joined the boards, the first thing I ever saw on the eGullet forums was Wendy deBord's food blog. My jaw dropped, and she'd say it's all in a day's work, etc, etc. Each picture, which consisted of hundreds of uniformly beautiful minis, plated desserts, and wedding cakes, was so inspired. It brought out the kid in this ogre who spent 5 years working in a dungeon (yikes, how poetic). This quasimodo had only ever baked COOKIES (and only chocolate chip cookies!) before joining the boards! :laugh: I realize she's a pastry chef and I'm an amoeba, but still it's like I'm paying tribute to that first rush of inspiration. Maybe we can make the kid/ lurker/ new member think, "I gotta get in on that!"

eskay, that's the spirit!

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

This sounds like such an awesome idea! Thanks for putting this together!

I just wish that my sweetheart hadn't just announced a renewed commitment to eating healthy. Perhaps I can convince him that the vitamins in a fruit pie outweigh the fat and sugar?

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

He's so focused, he's begun to sweat sugar instead of salt. Be afraid!

I think that's what they call "Manggy Nectar.

I have JUST eaten, and that is severely gross. :laugh:

I couldn't sleep last night and I was thinking - How are you all (or Y'all) planning to approach this? Are you just going to make a whole load of random stuff? Or are you going for catagories? (Baked, set, chilled, frozen). Or perhaps you could pick a set of Countries and make something indigenous to there.

Edit: To fix a rather rude mis-spelling of "Countries". :unsure:

Edited by GTO (log)

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Man, I wish I could get in on this, but next weekend is the last weekend before end of term and I'm moving again, which means I'm super busy but more importantly I'm trying to get rid of all my food, not make more!

I am going on vacation next week, so I'm also trying to get rid of all my food. I figure making a bunch of desserts is actually not a bad way to do it. I'll just have a whole bunch of desserts to eat before I leave for my trip!

Sorry GTO... :raz: it's at least less gross than an exploding pig (I hope.)

Anybody doing a bake sale at all this weekend, I wonder.

No particular theme here, but mixes of fresh/ sweet/ fruity/ tart/ bitter so my friends' taste buds won't get frazzled out. Oh, and lots and lots of potato chips. Cause that what desserts do to ya... (Thank heavens we're all twentysomethings...)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

This just sucks. On top of not being able to make my birthday cake tomorrow, I can't even take part because I've relatives visiting, i'll hopefully be packing for my move to the UK and I'm sick and still not spending enough time on my feet to consider baking.

Maybe I'll find a second wind or something.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

In some parts of the world its Friday already...Let the games begin! BTW, my ingredients won't even arrive until late tomorrow, so I'll be pulling up the rear (so will my friends after they eat all of my desserts!)

["Long time lurkers"...time to come out and play :wink: ]

Yeah, it is Friday here (and I've already made 3 of my ___ desserts), but there's a typhoon and I don't wanna photograph them yet :smile: in the chill for now.

Mark

Thanks to all who participated. By my count, if we had one piece of each dessert, we would consume 6,320 calories each. I could do it! :raz:

Some really wonderful desserts were posted starting HERE.

One idea that emerged from this weekend for me is that it might be fun to take a country a month, and have it be hosted by various eGullet Society members, and then we all bake their traditional desserts and eGulletize them. If you're interested in the idea, please PM me.

Cheers!

(Host's Note: I will be locking this topic later today and sending it to the archives.)

Thanks to those that participated and posted pictures. I have enjoyed it and would have loved to bake up a storm but the timing wasn't great. Maybe next time.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden