• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2007 Dessert-athon

gfron1

It all started as a friendly competition between myself and Jumanggy (Mark). Who could make the most desserts in one weekend. Then we thought, why not try and help the struggling flour farmers from across the globe! Or relieve the overworked chickens by taking some of their eggs. Who knows, with such a philanthropic endeavor, we could create universal peas and change the world one belly at a time!

So Jumanggy and I are inviting all of you to do your duty to your countries' economic leader, and your local grocery stores/farmers markets, by joining us for the 2007 Dessert-athon. You make and post the desserts, I'll do the counting. Feel free to simply free-form create, or find a theme. I'm leaning toward one dessert from every cookbook that I have.

No need to RSVP, just plan, bake and post! We're asking you to post in the obvious existing topics:

What's for dessert?

Ice Cream Recipes & Tips

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yellow and White Cakes

Showstopper Jello Desserts

or any other existing topic.

Are you game? Let's help the sugar growers reach their annual quota!

This sounds like a brilliant idea. But wait, which weekend? And if people are just going to be posting in all these different threads, how are you going to keep track? And is it a competition to see which one of us can make the most, or how high we can get the staggering total of our combined efforts?

Correction - just saw the name of the thread, which answered my first question! Sorry!

Edited by pennylane (log)

Since I keep getting PMs asking about "rules" and such...I thought I would just more clearly state - this isn't an event, its just an opportunity to do a lot of dessert making and share with each other - kind of an end of summer vacation/school's back celebration. So, no rules, just use lots of sugar!

Sounds like fun but this time of year is really difficult to work in extra projects for me... even fun projects. It's tourist season (fishing) so it's nuts at work, it's race season (I do triathlon and road cycling) so I spend a lot of my free time training and most of the little time I have left goes to grabbing some sleep. I'm looking forward to seeing what everybody does though. Hopefully I can find time to sneak in a dessert or two for the cause.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Tri2Cook, I'll be looking forward to any desserts you can make (they always look great), even if it's just a couple! Besides, you need those carbs for energy...

I'm not sure what my theme is. Obviously it'll be stuff I've never made before, and as always I'll try to make everything visually appealing. I might throw an all dessert party this weekend and give out boxes to my friends so I won't have to do road cycling... :)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Tri2Cook, I'll be looking forward to any desserts you can make (they always look great), even if it's just a couple! Besides, you need those carbs for energy...

I'm not sure what my theme is. Obviously it'll be stuff I've never made before, and as always I'll try to make everything visually appealing. I might throw an all dessert party this weekend and give out boxes to my friends so I won't have to do road cycling... :)

Does quantity of a given item count? I think I must have made about 500 pieces of 4 different confections this weekend.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

hmmmm free flowing ...no rules really ...I can make whatever/as many desserts/themed or not..all that I want and post it any of the aforementioned dessert threads???

wow ....ok sounds like something I can do

I want to make pie!!!! all kinds various forms with lots and lots of fruits ...I dont think I am capable of making or eating hundreds but I will try for the team and the economy!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Yeah, come on, guys! When I asked my hubby about this, he was like, "Well, I don't know about you, but I don't have any particular desire to gain 40 lb this weekend..."

But I'm still going to do it!!! (Make the desserts, that is - not gain 40 lb {at least I hope not}!)

Poor Mark has been buried in books and typing and writing for weeks, so my guess is his fingers are gnarled in pain and he won't be able to make more than a muffin. To steal a line from JohnnyD's blog - I pity the fool! I've been stockpiling ingredients for weeks...good things this is a friendly event :rolleyes:

I'm banking on a darkhorse...one of those lurkers who will come out of nowhere and throw so much at us that we'll hang our heads in shame.

Mark has magic fingers. He's so focused, he's begun to sweat sugar instead of salt. Be afraid!

You need to automatically ban anyone who:

Owns a Bakery

Owns a Patisserie

Works in a Bakery/Patiesseire

Has the Surname "Herme"

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

No banning - no rules! I want to see the boards light up with chocolatey ecstasy! And for those of you afraid of weight gain - who say's desserts have to be fattening - think fruit! Remember the un-cake cake topic...lot's of possibilities.

GTO, you may not know this about me, but I run a mental health program, so I'm diagnosing you right now :wacko: I see you projecting dessert ideas on to other people. We'll have to do something about this lack of commitment that you're demonstrating! We know what you can do - we've seen your posts!

Come to think of it, maybe this is double secret reverse psychology and you're trying to trick us by diverting attention away from yourself. You're game is up! Now get in the kitchen before I have to have you medicated :raz:

I work weekends!!! I just realized I can not do this!! bummer..I have to back out! I was sooo looking forward to a pie festival at my house!

It's okay, hummingbirdkiss, I will make a pie for you. How does peach sound?

All joking and taunting aside, this is meant to be just plain, messy fun. Its not really a competition...think of it as an attempt to get in the Guiness Book of World Records for the most desserts made in a weekend by a group of friends. (And no, GTO, that wan't my way of running from the challenge!)

Lol, yeah.

In all seriousness, if everyone would just look at Rob's Flickr page for a minute. You're a Dessert MACHINE. I'm noticing under all of the pictures, that it says "From The Art of Dessert" - So unlike normal people, who read books first, it seems that you cook your way through? :biggrin:

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

I work weekends!!! I just realized I can not do this!! bummer..I have to back out! I was sooo looking forward to a pie festival at my house!

It's okay, hummingbirdkiss, I will make a pie for you. How does peach sound?

sounds like my favorite thank you!!!!! :wub:

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Man, I wish I could get in on this, but next weekend is the last weekend before end of term and I'm moving again, which means I'm super busy but more importantly I'm trying to get rid of all my food, not make more! :rolleyes: That said, I might whip something up and foist it on my roommates anyway. Hey, I need to use up that fruit in the freezer right?? :raz:

Kate