• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Succès

gfron1

I'm making an espresso succès from Amernick's book right now, and I have never made these before. First, I would love a good pronunication for the word so I can stop calling them 'sucks.' Second, they seem like an in between on a dacquoise and meringue. What is the meaning of the word - success? I also saw madness listed on one website.

What are the standards that people look for in succès? Shape, heights, texture, browning, etc.? They are very simple and seem like a classy addition to a dessert, so I'd love to know of any knock-out recipes. Thanks.

Is there much of difference between Succes, Japonaise and Dacquoise other than the type of nuts that are used?

Japonaise is typically made with ground almonds, but you can substitute any other ground nut if you want. If I used ground hazelnuts in Japonaise, would that make it a Succes? Or a Dacquoise? Or would it just be Hazelnut Japonaise?

Does Succes merely refer to the final dessert that you end up with when you use nut-meringue layers?

Basically it seems to me that Succes, Japonaise, and Dacquoise are all essentially the same thing, unless someone can enlighten me otherwise. :unsure:

I'm making an espresso succès from Amernick's book right now, and I have never made these before.  First, I would love a good pronunication for the word so I can stop calling them 'sucks.'  Second, they seem like an in between on a dacquoise and meringue.  What is the meaning of the word - success?  I also saw madness listed on one website. 

What are the standards that people look for in succès?  Shape, heights, texture, browning, etc.?  They are very simple and seem like a classy addition to a dessert, so I'd love to know of any knock-out recipes.  Thanks.

Pronunciation would be more like suuk-say or sook-s'eh...

Edited by Mikeb19 (log)

Japonaise is typically made with ground almonds, but you can substitute any other ground nut if you want. If I used ground hazelnuts in Japonaise, would that make it a Succes? Or a Dacquoise? Or would it just be Hazelnut Japonaise?

Basically it seems to me that Succes, Japonaise, and Dacquoise are all essentially the same thing, unless someone can enlighten me otherwise. :unsure:

The recipe I just made uses almond flour. The amount is less than what I've used by percentage in a dacquoise, and the texture is more meringue than dacquoise...so it seems to me that it has to do with percentage of nut meal/flour.