• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food in the Costa Brava

CheGuevara

Towards the end of august a friend and i will be spending about five days in the costa brava. We'll be driving up from Barcelona and for the moment plan to be staying in Pals for 4 nights, we'll most likely stay a few more nights somewhere else in the vicinity.

Any reccomendations on restaurants worht going to would be much apreciated. I'm really interested in lesser known places, bakeries, anywhere that is genuine and worth visiting while we're there. I'm thinking about Celler de Can Roca as we'll be very close, but i'm not sure it is the right trip for it.

thanks!

-che

Towards the end of august a friend and i will be spending about five days in the costa brava. We'll be driving up from Barcelona and for the moment plan to be staying in Pals for 4 nights, we'll most likely stay a few more nights somewhere else in the vicinity.

Any reccomendations on restaurants worht going to would be much apreciated. I'm really interested in lesser known places, bakeries, anywhere that is genuine and worth visiting while we're there. I'm thinking about Celler de Can Roca as we'll be very close, but i'm not sure it is the right trip for it.

thanks!

-che

La Xicra in Palafrugell it's an absolute must to get to know traditional Ampurdán cooking. Els Tinars is not far away from Pals though it requires some driving. Villa Mas in S'Agaro has a lovely setting by the beach, very nice cooking and the best Burgundy list you can find in Spain at unbelievable prices.

I have good references of L'Aliança in Anglés and Hotel Cassamar in Llafranc.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

La Xicra in Palafrugell it's an absolute must to get to know traditional Ampurdán cooking. Els Tinars is not far away from Pals though it requires some driving. Villa Mas in S'Agaro has a lovely setting by the beach, very nice cooking and the best Burgundy list you can find in Spain at unbelievable prices.

I have good references of L'Aliança in Anglés and Hotel Cassamar in Llafranc.

I will definitely then make a reservation for La Xicra...Villa Mas sounds very interesting as well - esepcially since i'm a sucker for Burgundy, particularly their whites.

do you know any good bars for drinks around the area...especially something near Pals as i assume we'd avoid the need to drive!

mil gracias

Edited by CheGuevara (log)

White burgundies? What about Coche Dury Meursault 04 at 44€?

Villa Mas operates as a drink bar once they finish serving dinner. Quite cool, I'd say.

White burgundies? What about Coche Dury Meursault 04 at 44€?

Villa Mas operates as a drink bar once they finish serving dinner. Quite cool, I'd say.

i don't know Coche Dury - but a good meursault for £30 is not an easy thing to find at a restaurant. last year over new year's i had a pouligny montrachet '01 from Leflaive which was delicious, incredibly rich.

i'll definitely go over to Villa Mas...it seems like my kind of place

on a different thread i read about Cal Campaner - have you been there or heard anything?

• 1 year later...

I ate several times at Villa Mas last summer. Same wonderful Burgundy wine list, food improving every year. I plan to return, also several times, in less than a month.

Nearby, you also have Els Tinars, traditional catalonian cook or more adventurous cooking depending on how you feel. More adventurous without resorting to avantgarde, I mean.

All in all, leaving Can Roca aside which is slightly farther, La Xicra, Villa Mas and Els Tinars probably are my favorite places in the area, to which I paid several visits when I'm around.