• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday Dinner suggestions (about $50-75 pp)

Phish Food

I have a birthday dinner coming up and could use some suggestions as to where to go? Any type of food, but am trying to keep prices somewhere around $50 per person or less. Would be willing to go up to $75 a head, since it is just for 2 of us.

well...you have no "great" options in that range....(the best you'd do is probably Ssam Bar, Bouley Upstairs or Bar Room at the Modern...you'll have to order with some care...).

literally zillions of "good" options...that's why it's a tough question to answer without specifics.

well...you have no "great" options in that range....(the best you'd do is probably Ssam Bar, Bouley Upstairs or Bar Room at the Modern...you'll have to order with some care...).

literally zillions of "good" options...that's why it's a tough question to answer without specifics.

I think Nathan is being a little extreme with his definition of great. Hearth or Blue Hill would both be great options in that price range- and they're a lot more birthdayish than the other suggestions. WD-50 is in that price range (I find it hit or miss, but always interesting and adventurous). Tavern Room at Gramercy Tavern is easily in that price range (although I'm not convinced about the new chef). Ushiwakamaru is in that price range.

don't you think Hearth or BH would be pretty tight?  the Tavern Room is awfully casual for a celebratory dinner...

The prices at Blue Hill and Hearth are almost exactly the same. Entrees are about $30. Appetizers are about $12-15. Desserts are $10. That's $55 before tax and tip, which should come out right around the high end of the given range. If you share an appetizer and a dessert, you can easily eat within the low range. And Blue Hill throws in a number of amuses, etc., especially if you let them know it's a special occasion.

Tavern Room is actually one of my favorite restaurant spaces in the city. It was the spot that my great aunt used to take me for special dinners as a kid/teenager/too poor to afford it myself young adult, so maybe I have a skewed view of it (it felt very sophisticated at the time). But I do think the atmosphere is a lot nicer than Upstairs or Ssam Bar, though both are favorite restaurants of mine. That being said, my recent meal at Tavern Room was quite disappointing, so I can't really recommend it wholeheartedly.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I have been considering a few places like peasant and spotted pig. What does everyone think of those? My girlfriend really wants us to go to Peter Lugers, although I know it will cost a little more.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.  I have been considering a few places like peasant and spotted pig.  What does everyone think of those?  My girlfriend really wants us to go to Peter Lugers, although I know it will cost a little more.

Peter Luger isn't even financeable (no credit cards). I think Blue Hill and Hearth are significantly better restaurants than Peasant and Spotted Pig. Those are both significantly cheaper, but I'm not a huge fan of either and I wouldn't consider them celebratory.

I like Peasant a lot...though it's not the most accessible restaurant.

Spotted Pig isn't especially good.  (the two best things on the menu are the gnudi and the burger)

You're dismissing Tavern Room as too casual and then suggesting Peasant? I like Peasant too, but it's hardly a destination restaurant.

I, for one, agree that the Tavern Room isn't special enough.

Although I love the food (pulled pork sandwich, meatball, and dessert), that damned ugly fruit and veggie mural above the bar has got to go. Shudder.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure