• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2007 top 13 restaurants in Italy

SWISS_CHEF

Restaurants awarded 5 tastvins (highest rating) in 2007 by the Association of Italian Sommeliers

1. VISSANI

Civitella del Lago

Terni

2. GAMBERO ROSSO

San Vincenzo

Livorno

3. LA TORRE DEL SARACINO

Vico Equense

Napoli

4. DAL PESCATORE

Canneto sull'Oglio

Mantova

5. LE CALANDRE

Rubano

Padova

6. DA CAINO

Manciano

Grosseto

7. COMBAL.0

Rivoli

Torino

8. IL DESCO

Verona

9. GUALTIERO MARCHESI

Erbusco

Brescia

10. ENOTECA PINCHIORRI

Firenze

11. LA PERGOLA DELL'HOTEL HILTON

Roma

12. LA STUA DE MICHIL

Corvara in Badia

Bolzano

13. VILLA CRESPI

Orta San Giulio

Novara

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the main criteria so I can understand the list better? Wine or food? The combination?

Because I've been to both La Pergola and Torre Del Saracino last month. I had no wine in both, and, to my taste of course, although Torre is a fine restaurant it can't start to compare with the wonderful La Pergola.

Just trying to eat some good food and learn in the process with all the well versed foodies here. Please don't hold me too accountable for my so personal opinions! :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the main criteria so I can understand the list better? Wine or food? The combination?

Because I've been to both La Pergola and Torre Del Saracino last month. I had no wine in both, and, to my taste of course, although Torre is a fine restaurant it can't start to compare with the wonderful La Pergola.

Good question, in fact they are divided into four groups and in the book they look like this:

VISSANI

(SPACE)

GAMBERO ROSSO

LA TORRE DEL SARACINO

(SPACE)

DAL PESCATORE

LE CALANDRE

(SPACE)

DA CAINO

COMBAL.0

IL DESCO

GUALTIERO MARCHESI

ENOTECA PINCHIORRI

LA PERGOLA DELL'HOTEL HILTON

LA STUA DE MICHIL

VILLA CRESPI

I assume Vissani is considered number 1 and so on down the line.

According to their explanation, they choose the restaurants based on wine, food and atmosphere, with a special emphasis on pairing the wine with the food but their primary focus seems to be wine.