• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Cigale

Tyke

Can you describe the Supreme Princesse Helene? Is it a savory course or a dessert? I assume the oysters were very fresh.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

La Cigalle is one of the most beautiful brasseries in the world.

I was wondering why someone eating oysters in Nantes would order Champagne rather than Muscadet (not withstanding the fact that many people, inlcuding all the Bretons sitting at my table at a wedding party, seem to hate Muscadet) but the photographs make it all clear. Just as I instantly feel the need to drink vin rosé when I'm sitting outdoors on a warm day, the interior of that brasserie says "order Champagne."

:biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

If you like champagne, why not order it?

The oysters were very fresh indeed.

Supreme Princesse Helene as you ask was my main course choice and consisted of a chicken supreme naped with a white veloute sauce mixed with asparagus puree and garnished with white truffle.

BTW that has not come from memory, but it is a dish I recreated and served once back in Britain.

Oh and Bux, if you read the topic title and description properly you would have seen it is Nantes.

If you like champagne, why not order it?

There's hardly any reason not to order champagne, except that Nantes is the center of the muscadet region and a popular wine with oysters. However, as I noted, some people never drink muscadet and I suspect others will drink champagne at any time.

Actually if one likes beer why not order it either. That really wasn't my point. Perhaps I could have more accurately stated that muscadet, the local wine of Nantes, would generally be my first choice with oysters even when I'm not in the region, but that the interior of this brasserie seemed to call for champagne. It's an interesting looking place and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Can you describe the Supreme Princesse Helene? Is it a savory course or a dessert?

I have just noticed this Bux, and cannot believe you asked. What sort of a dessert is a Supreme pray tell?

Well if I knew, I wouldn't have had to ask that question. I'm afraid that since the incorporation of clever nouvelle cuisine terminology, one can no longer take classic terms for granted. Surely, it's not really an "unbelievable" question.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable