• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You Eat What You Read

Gaius

From Cornell University via Science Daily...

"Forty-one diners at the Spice Box restaurant in Urbana, Illinois were given a free glass of Cabernet Sauvignon to accompany a $24 prix-fixe French meal. Half the bottles claimed to be from Noah's Winery in California. The labels on the other half claimed to be from Noah's Winery in North Dakota. In both cases, the wine was an inexpensive Charles Shaw wine."

Fuller coverage here...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/...70806104111.htm

Jamie M. Forbes

"Everything I know about life I learned in the kitchen."

It may or may not matter, but the Spice Box is a student-run campus "teaching" restaurant, not a normal restaurant. I don't mean this in an elitist way or anything, but it would be interesting to try the same study on people who have more experience with high-priced wines. OTOH, Charles Shaw scores pretty well in competitions, doesn't it?