• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BOKA

Alchemist

I didn’t see a thread on Boka so I’m starting one because a had a spectacular meal there last night. I went in with a friend almost as a joke because we met in 1992 there when it was Blue Mesa. We sat at the bar, and had a frightening amount of food. There is a full menu google Boka resturant Chicago.

We started with 3 Kumomoto’s and 3 oysters I forget the name of. They were expertly shucked, not shell fragment in them.

Then we had the big eye tuna. Lovely. The fish was beautiful, and chef didn’t throw a lot of things at it, he just let it’s quality shine through.

Ash eggplant with white polenta, leeks, and Laura Chenel goat cheese. Wicked.

Fried Squash Blossom, Olive Tepanade, and mozarella. Maybe my favorite app.

For Entrées we had…

Copper Creeek Salmon on soba noodles. This blew my mind. The fish was silky and flakey. The noodles were nicely seasoned and a texturally great contrast to the fish.

The Veal Cheek with runner beans. Perfect.

Toby

edited to fix stupidity.

Edited by Alchemist (log)

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Definitely no consensus on Boka, as I've read accounts from both side of the fence. I'd still really like to try it, though. Thanks, for the report.

BTW, there is another Boka thread already running. You can find it here.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I took the family there on Mother's Day and everyone had a great meal. My son re-visited about a month ago and once again thought it quite good. I'm not a huge fan of whitefish but thier whitefish entree made me rethink that position.

• 5 months later...
Definitely no consensus on Boka, as I've read accounts from both side of the fence.  I'd still really like to try it, though.  Thanks, for the report.

BTW, there is another Boka thread already running.  You can find it here.

=R=

Ronnie, your thread link is broken. Is there another BoKa thread, or was it merged with this one?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Definitely no consensus on Boka, as I've read accounts from both side of the fence.  I'd still really like to try it, though.  Thanks, for the report.

BTW, there is another Boka thread already running.  You can find it here.

=R=

Ronnie, your thread link is broken. Is there another BoKa thread, or was it merged with this one?

I think it was merged here.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com