• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt/Spice Grinder

kissmekate

A friend brought me back a simply terrific little salt grinder from Sweden 2 years ago. It is very simple - glass, plastic with stainless steel grinder parts. It has been an amazing little gadget as I can put "wet" salt into it like Fleur de sel and it doesn't clog up or get rusty. It is also totally dishwasher safe and as I was able to run it through the dishwasher I also started using it to grind spices and dried herbs as well. Works like a charm! Anyway, I see they are now available in Ikea, very inexpensive $5-6.00 each, a great little tool. They have a clear glass body with a dark blue plastic top.

Another tool I bought a couple of years ago at Gourmet Warehouse here in Vancouver is a vegetable peeler with a serrated edge so you can peel things with fragile skins like tomatoes and peaches. As it's canning time, this a great little tool to have as well.

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

. . .

Another tool I bought a couple of years ago at Gourmet Warehouse here in Vancouver is a vegetable peeler with a serrated edge so you can peel things with fragile skins like tomatoes and peaches. As it's canning time, this a great little tool to have as well.

I have been watching for one of these to show up locally. I would love to use it to peel peppers without roasting them first. I am sure I can order it on line but am convinced it will show up soon in a store near me. :smile:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

. . .

I have been watching for one of these to show up locally. I would love to use it to peel peppers without roasting them first. I am sure I can order it on line but am convinced it will show up soon in a store near me. :smile:

I bought one earlier this year at Basic Stock on W. 4th. Perfect for kiwis!

Edited to add: Sorry, not very close to Anna N :shock:

Edited by lauraf (log)

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

. . .

I bought one earlier this year at Basic Stock on W. 4th.  Perfect for kiwis!

Edited to add: Sorry, not very close to Anna N  :shock:

Not to worry - just can't justify a flight to Vancouver to get one (but I wish I could!)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

. . .

I bought one earlier this year at Basic Stock on W. 4th. Perfect for kiwis!

Edited to add: Sorry, not very close to Anna N :shock:

I'm near Basic Stock on West 4th. Could you please let me know the name of the brand of peeler?

Thanks.

. . .

I'm near Basic Stock on West 4th.  Could you please let me know the name of the brand of peeler?

Thanks.

Cook's Illustrated did a review of this peelers and recommended them. I believe Zyliss was the maker.

Bed, Bath & Beyond should carry them. From Amazon:

Zyliss Soft Skin Peeler

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

. . .

I'm near Basic Stock on West 4th.  Could you please let me know the name of the brand of peeler?

Thanks.

Cook's Illustrated did a review of this peelers and recommended them. I believe Zyliss was the maker.

Bed, Bath & Beyond should carry them. From Amazon:

Zyliss Soft Skin Peeler

Thanks so much for the info. Zyliss sure makes great products. Someone recommended the Zyliss garlic press on eGullet and I bought it. It is the best one I've bought yet.