• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Off-beat or Off the Beaten Track in NYC

Busboy

Got a request from the kids to go someplace "different" in New York City Saturday night, which I take to mean no Chinese (we will be going to Chinatown Sunday) of French, and probably no Italian. So we're hoping that there's a new or little-known local fave someone can turn us on to in time to get dinner there tomorrow./tonight We're staying in Chelsea and can travel as far as close-in Brooklyn, but don't really have time to go chasing out to Queens or the Bronx, not that we don't love them both. Ideally the place would be:

Mid-priced and casual with regard to dress

Not a seafood place

Obscure and/or unpopular enough that a Saturday night table for four is not out of the question

Be quiet enough (comparatively speaking) to allow conversation.

Have a decent, moderately priced wine list.

Other than that, anything goes as far as decor, menu, whatever as long as the food is good.

Thanks.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Resto is a Belgian place just outside of Chelsea.....I went there early on and it was so so but a respected foodie friend says it much better now and Bruni liked it FWIW.

Better yet would be Momofuku Ssam or Momofuku Noodle Bar. Certainly not quiet and you'd probably have to wait, but it might be worth it. Very East Village....

Kampuchea (discussion here) has not yet reached a critical mass of popularity, and especially if you go early it's not likely to be all that crowded.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Kampuchea (discussion here) has not yet reached a critical mass of popularity, and especially if you go early it's not likely to be all that crowded.

I second Raji's suggestion of Kinnosuke. Also worth checking out are two non-Chinese places in Chinatown: Doyers Vietnamese and Thailand Restaurant. Both are good, but have no useful wine lists. Then again, beer goes better with this type of food anyway.

Don't go to Doyers Vietnamese. Busboy's coming from DC which is near Eden Center, the best place on the East Coast for Vietnamese food. NYC's Vietnamese food scene is lacking. I can get anything I want up here but a decent ca phe su da and banh xeo? JNope.