• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Restaurants in the Lonsdale area?

Global

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good restaurants on or near lonsdale in north van, something with great food but a relaxed atmosphere?

Thank you!

ps. if anyone has been to the Casual Gourmet at Park and Tilford, we love that place, just looking for other options!

gusto di quattro at the VERY bottom of lonsdale is perhaps the best, but I had such an aweful entree there once, I probably won't go back. The Cordon Bleu just off lonsdale on 2nd is kind of quaint and pretty good food, homey/country french, but nothing like la regalade. o/w it's somewhat barren here.

Maybe go a little further west to the mustache cafe if you like casual gourmet.

• 3 weeks later...

Go ethnic. The Palki is v. good for Indian food and there's a Thai place (can't remember the name) that's not bad. There's a Memphis Blues outlet on mid-Lonsdale for pulled pork. There's also the Zupa, a Spanish tapas place -- a homely room, but the food in not bad and the live music and dancing on Friday night is great.

Paul B

I would avoid the Thai place on upper Lonsdale (I'm sure that Paul B is referring to the one lower down on Lonsdale). I almost gagged on the sickly sweet green curry.

Indian Fusion on upper Lonsdale (across from London Drugs) is good and also a great value for Indian. Inn Cogneato two blocks down also has wonderful bread and does a good job of more standard fare.

Personally, I would avoid all Japanese on Lonsdale and head to Westview instead. The Chinese restaurant at Westview is also decent for the shore.

There are also a number of Persian restaurants, although I don't know which ones are best.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I would avoid the Thai place on upper Lonsdale (I'm sure that Paul B is referring to the one lower down on Lonsdale). I almost gagged on the sickly sweet green curry.

Indian Fusion on upper Lonsdale (across from London Drugs) is good and also a great value for Indian. Inn Cogneato two blocks down also has wonderful bread and does a good job of more standard fare.

Personally, I would avoid all Japanese on Lonsdale and head to Westview instead. The Chinese restaurant at Westview is also decent for the shore.

There are also a number of Persian restaurants, although I don't know which ones are best.

RE Japanese places: I don't think I saw Kokoro mentioned anywhere on this thread. FWIW I had a most pleasing dining experience there not two weeks ago. It is in what Sanresho characterizes as Upper Lonsdale (just south of 15th on the east side of the street). Went on a Sunday night with the Significant Engineer and the Bunkle Queen for a post-renovation feed. Everything was good, fresh and tasty but real standouts were the special house rolls with slightly odd names like Energy -- you'll know them when you see them. The combinations they've come up with are a bit different but not too weird like some sushi restos are doing, and I think they work. The mixed tempura was massive if a bit heavy in the batter department but the fact that everything hot arrived really hot was a boon -- I understand this is the way it's done in Japan and you're supposed to wait till the food is at your preferred temperature. Very civilized. Anyway, we ate until the gullets were well expanded and couldn't finish it all. Then the bill came. Just under $45 for three before tip. Needless to say, we'll be back.

PS we have successfully ordered take out several times before which prompted our dining in foray so if you decide to give it a try, don't be put off by the slightly nautical look of some of the furnishings -- a bit Captain Highliner for my taste :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

avoid all the korean restaurants. they all suck. all the pubs suck as well. actually queens cross is alright. a bit pricey. mythos is just as good as any other greek joint along lonsdale. deuce just opened up. not my type of place but it might be yours. all teh pizza places suck as well, except for djj's which is mediocre. depensind on wher you go the sushi is alright. browns has ok burgers. if you want chinese go to yum yums. it's a szechuan restaurant that actually serves spicy food. well... they ask you how spicy you want it but always ask to have it as hot as possible. if you want casual there's also memphis blues. for a crap but cheap sandwich to compliment the best donuts in the GVA go to harmony donuts. it's on the corner of lonsdale and 29th. burgoo is alright. the district just opened up. they do lots of appetizer type things. no amtter how attracted to the outside you are, do not go to raglans. it's expensive and not worth the money.

bork bork bork

Went to Bistro Chez Michel for brunch. Very cool. Had the Merguez sausage eggs benedict ~ fantastic. Eggs were a perfect softness and the yolk easily broke and flowed over the sausage into the French Baguette.

I will stand by this; no other Chef in Vancouver can make hollandaise as well as Chef Joseph at Chez Michel. Nicely salty with a slight hint of wine and a rich buttery finish without being over-powering. Lemon finish.

Chef/Owner/Teacher