• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating Kansas City

Holly Moore

All of a sudden -- just before I go to the gym -- I had a flashback to a dinner I had with my mom at a small, homestyle, "Chatterbox Cafe"-type restaurant in the 3400 block of Prospect Avenue. I think its name began with an L, but I won't swear to that.

This was a few years after the riots that seriously damaged the block just south of the restaurant. The Safeway (torched) across from the Milgram (spared) never reopened. (Hmmmm...were the rioters demonstrating hometown bias?)

This place, though, was in fine shape: checkerboard-pattern curtains in the windows, light-brown plywood walls, linoleum floor in very good shape, jukebox filled with R&B/soul hits.

I remember ordering a Salisbury steak, and the waitress asked if I wanted "French, blue cheese, or Eye-talian" dressing on my salad. Being only 10-something, I went with the orange stuff.

Nothing fancy -- just a good, solid meal that hit the spot. The sort of place Holly would appreciate. Something tells me it's long gone.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Well, I don't disagree, but I don't see how upscale joints like Bluestem fit in his parameters, no matter how wunderbar the food is.

No revolving french restaurants. Right, Calvin? :cool:

No, silly bbqboy, they don't fit the original parameters, but kansascitykid camped-onto the thread and posed several other questions, including whether Cascone's was still there and where to get good cocktails, hence the list that included CT, bluestem and re:Verse. It *is* possible to get one's spoon greasy in those places, but only with EVOO or Berkshire bacon :wink:

Again, my bad, and my laziness for not parsing out my responses to each query above.

Holly, hope you're enjoying yourself here, despite the heat.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Well, I don't disagree, but I don't see how upscale joints like Bluestem fit in his parameters, no matter how wunderbar the food is.

No revolving french restaurants. Right, Calvin? :cool:

No, silly bbqboy, they don't fit the original parameters, but kansascitykid camped-onto the thread and posed several other questions, including whether Cascone's was still there and where to get good cocktails, hence the list that included CT, bluestem and re:Verse. It *is* possible to get one's spoon greasy in those places, but only with EVOO or Berkshire bacon :wink:

Again, my bad, and my laziness for not parsing out my responses to each query above.

Holly, hope you're enjoying yourself here, despite the heat.

:laugh:

I guess I'm just a greaseman myself, and want to make sure from afar that Holly doesn't end up eating anything TOO healthy. :cool:

Thinking about the North Star this evening but can't find any info - anyone have an address?

Thanks.

1100 NW 25th St

Topeka, KS 66618

(785) 354-8880

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Specifically, it's 50 miles W of Kansas City.

However: Assuming no heavy traffic, construction or accidents, you should be able to get there in under an hour, as the speed limit on the Kansas Turnpike is 75 mph, a level unheard of in the Northeast.

Just curious: Any plans for Gates' or Mario's?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Had breakfast at Arthur Bryants. Planning on lunch at Gates and Oklahoma Joes. Dinner may be in Wichita or it may be fried tacos. Or I may have fried tacos for breakfast tomorrow AM.

Alas, Calvin, Winstead's as you knew it, and I remember it from my only visit in 1969 is no more. In it's place - though still under the same name - a pseudo Winstead's - same menu, but all slicked up and cooking way ahead of order. Their malteds are still great but the fries and the burgers disappointed big time.

Bryant's is Bryant's is Bryant's. Some things never change and that is good. Had my first Arthur Bryant's at their original, original location. This morning,s was every bit as good.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 7 years later...

Going to be in KC..  around Crown Center.  Soon

I will have my staff,  so I don't think, I'm wanting a glamour's sit down. 

WE recently did the Rieger ( was pretty good ), Extra Virgin ( may not be for this crowd )  --Possibly thinking Tannin ( cause we like to taste wine.

Probably not P and L.. unless it is highly recommended

Plaza might be OK--I know some new stuff has opened

Not thinking BBQ,  would like some good Mexican ideas if possible.. probably lunch.

Ideas?

TIA  Paul

Its good to have Morels

El Camino Real in Kansas City, KS has excellent street tacos.  It ain't pretty but the food is very good and at $1.50 each, pretty cheap. 

I keep hearing great things about Q39 in Westport, I'd really like to try it. Will have to next time I'm in town.

Port Fonda in Westport.

El Patron is good but it leans a little more toward Tex Mex. Good stuff though.

Tortilleria San Antonio also in KCK. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

• 2 months later...

I visited KC last year.  In the Crown Center, I had an excellent dinner at The American, KC's longtime standard-bearer for fine dining.  The space was magnificent and the service and food were excellent.  I also went to Jack Stack for good barbecue.  But the restaurant that really blew me away was Story in Prairie Village, south of town.  Oh.  My.  God.  I loved every single bite of that wonderful dinner.  Just WOW.  I can understand why Food & Wine magazine named Carl Thorne-Thomsen the best new chef in the country!

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Woodyard Bar-B-Que joint is a no-frills wood slat house and lumberyard, with a few tables, an ordering counter and a lingering smokey smell to draw you in. Smoked meats are their claim to fame (the thick cut house-smoked bacon makes its way into almost everything on the menu), along with the burnt end chili filled with smoked ground beef and beans, and topped with those perfect charred bits of beef brisket.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Krokstrom - holy crap! Get there now! I have zero doubt that she'll have a JBF nomination under her belt with the 2017 nominations. Simply perfectly executed, exciting Scandanavian food. And she's only 29.

Affare - another great meal. Not to the level of fresh and innovative as Krokstrom, but well worth the visit.

Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 1