• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Report: Taillevent Dominique Bouchet Drouant

Carlsbad

A quick report on our seven nights in Paris last month. The highlight was dinner at Taillevent, which I thought was even better than the last time. The tasting menu is a bargain at 140E. A Remoulade de Tourteaux was extraordinary, and was perfect with a Dagueneau Pur Sang Pouilly-Fume. A simple pan cooked rouget with a dab of tapenade was also memorable. In fact everything was excellent. Loss of a star has only made things better from what I can see.

Second place went to Dominique Bouchet, where everything was near perfect. Le Clos Des Gourmets was exellent and quite reasonable for the quality of the food. Dinner at Drouant got off to a somewhat shaky start as far as service, but soon all was well. I don't believe M. Clemot was there, so maybe that had something to do with it. We had a very nice dinner at Les Fines Gueules, which I found delightful. We travelled out to Leslie Caron's Auberge La Lucarne aux Chouettes in Villeneuve-sur-Yonne one day for a birthday lunch for a friend. The place was enchanting and the food was quite good. That night we had a light dinner at a cafe. On our other night, we returned to Aux Trois Oliviers, a little place across the narrow street from our apartment, which we had liked two years ago. The food has gone more upscale, and while good, I think I liked it better before. We were all content as we headed out of Paris for the South.