• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tofu

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Our nephew, who is a vegetarian, would like to know if there's some form of tofu that can be taken on a multi-day backpack trip, and if so, will it still be healthy (as in non-poisonous) after a couple of days? This is a big 28-year-old with 2 hollow legs, so getting enough calories is hard for him.

I've only bought the refrigerated type, but I think I recall seeing shelf-stable packs as well. I also have seen dried tofu, which might be an option.

Thanks, all--N.

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

Yes, you can buy shelf-stable tofu in pasteurised packs which keeps for a long time without refrigeration, or you can get dried/fried tofu which also needs no refrigeration. That might be preferable for snacking purposes, as it's already cooked and flavoured (kind of like beef jerky). Actually, speaking of jerky, you could even get tofurky jerky - I used to love that stuff, though it's a bit expensive.

Yeah, I see these guys in little cardboard boxes sitting on shelves all the time. The first time I saw them, I stood there in utter confusion on why it wasn't sitting somewhere refrigerated.

Non-refrigerated tofu in a cardboard box scares me. I have yet to taste it.

But I love stinky tofu. What's wrong with me?

It scared me too, at first. I did some Google searches before I actually bought it, just to make sure it was a normal thing. But it was fine. Apparently fresh tofu tastes better but I thought it was all right.

I've had the non-refrigerated tofu from a box before, and I'd say it's fine. At least good enough for camping. But, you can't re-seal the tofu, so he would need to either eat it all the day it's opened or bring ziplock bags for storing it. It might start to ferment or just get crushed up or something even in a bag, but I don't think it would become poisonous before it would realistically get eaten. And, it's mostly water, so you have to think about whether it's worth it to haul (and continue to carry the box as trash) when you're carrying drinking water or are filtering your water already. I've brought these Tastybite meals before, and if he does bring tofu, he can just add it to that pretty easily. The tastybite meals are in little foil pouches (once you've taken them out of the box) and are really ideal for backpacking. Prep is pretty easy too -- just boil the pouch.

Trader joes as well as most any healthfood stores have lots of veggie friendly hiking/backpacking items some actually made from tofu (hot dogs lunch meat all kinds of things) ...I think regular tofu is too heavy to have to pack in a backpack for a hike at least in my opinion with the liquid, weight and bulk ..not to mention the potential for squishing it .. ..yes the shelf tofu in the box is pretty good but there are so many options for this guy to eat that would be lighter and tastier I think you should take a look and see..

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Tell him to try some Bean Cuisine packaged meals for his trip. They have several different bean and pasta or bean and grain dishes that cook up quickly and are light weight. I have seen them at WalMart and other grocery stores--sometimes with the packaged dinners, sometimes in the ethnic section.

sparrowgrass