• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gentiane Apertifs (Suze, et al)

foodhunter

Thanks, bookmarked for when I next have thyme on hand! 

The other day I tried this Maurice (rye, Cocchi Americano, Sauvage, and a little Antica) which is likewise mentioned on the Bittermens site, and which is more in the Manhattan/Brooklyn mold. Or I suppose you could call it a White-ish Boulevardier. There the gentian was a nice "complexifier" rather than hogging the spotlight.

Edited by Craig E
clarifying ingredients (log)

• 9 months later...

Perhaps starting to get a taste for Suze, made White Negronis tonight using the recipe up-thread and, gradually, the mix became palatable.   Very new flavours for us, a pleasure to explore.  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/4/2018 at 7:56 PM, EvergreenDan said:

Also tried the White Negroni again (Suze/Cocchi Americano). Nice for a change. The vivid yellow color is a touch alarming.

I know what you mean. I always make mine with Suze and Cocchi Americano and laugh every time at the name. But I love this drink! 

I will sometimes sub Amer Sauvage and like it that way quite a bit, but the Suze/Cocchi is my preference.