• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Key Limes

Jamie Lee

I couldn't help myself! When I saw a huge bunch of key limes at my asian market, I bit (bought).

gallery_51818_4991_205080.jpg

I've read all about key lime pie (no more, please!), but what savory ideas/recipes can you come up with?

I don't have access to a grill. I know how to freeze the juice in ice cube trays... but what can I do with them right now? I'm a newbie thai food junkie.. and have discovered I'm a "sour" over sweet palate, so should I just use them in larbs and curries?

Help?

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy

Any savory dish where you would use a splash of vinegar or lemon juice to cut the richness or bring out the flavor is a candidate for some key lime juice. However, key limes have a very distinct flavor, so you need to cut the amount approximately in half. In fact, use a quarter as much and add a few scrapings of the zest.

I use a little when poaching fish and add a bit to the butter or olive oil I put on steamed vegetables. When I pan-fry pork chops, I usually deglaze the pan with vermouth, but sometimes I'll use water and a few drops of key lime juice. The important thing is to add the zip but keep the flavor submerged, so you taste only that it's lively, without knowing why.

And of course, the zest and juice can be used as the sour component to any number of vinaigrettes. Always appropriate with white fish. I like them sliced paper thin and arranged as the base for fish tartares.

Just drink a lot of cocktails and you'll be set. :)

I couldn't help myself! When I saw a huge bunch of key limes at my asian market, I bit (bought).

gallery_51818_4991_205080.jpg

I've read all about key lime pie (no more, please!), but what savory ideas/recipes can you come up with?

I don't have access to a grill.  I know how to freeze the juice in ice cube trays... but what can I do with them right now?  I'm a newbie thai food junkie.. and have discovered I'm a "sour" over sweet palate, so should I just use them in larbs and curries?

Help?

Well first off zest them prior to use, if the lime skin isn't for visual purposes. I use lime zest and juice in many things from BBQ sauces to salsa. Thin slices of lime placed under a chicken's skin is a nice change in taste.

one of my favorite all purpose marinade for chicken, fish or pork ...

you can broil... roast...pan fry... bake whatever you dont need a grill

1 part key lime juice

2 parts olive oil

lots of fresh minced garlic

1 tbl sugar

dried oregano

salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

(If you want heat mince up a habanero or two and add that)

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Make some really delicious guacamole from a few almost too ripe avocados, a bit of diced tomato, onion, cilantro and if you want heat, a little jalapeno. Salt, pepper to taste, and juice of a key lime (add half first, then taste) and you're all set! Could add a hint of garlic if you like too. Just made a big batch last night, and the key is very ripe, buttery avocados.

:) Pam

Although it takes a quite a few of them, they are great for margaritas. They are also wonderful for any Mexican recipe calling for lime. They are the same or very similar to the limes one gets in Mexico.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

That's very funny, I too have the same sack o' limes, although not quite that low a price. I panicked and froze the lot of them, so I'll be following this thread with interest..

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I have a Key Lime tree thats currently laden with dozens of the little flavor bombs, so theyre getting alot of use in my kitchen lately.. a thin slice or two is a nice addition to a glass of sparkling water , or aGin and Tonic for that matter, and they make some fantastic Key Lime bars ( just sub key lime juice for the lemon in a lemon bar recipe )

and a quick marinade of ' Lime and Thyme " is always a hit on chicken or fish, and fun to say also... Another simple one is to use the juice in place of the lemon or lime in a salsa , Pico deGallo or Civiche

" No, Starvin' Marvin ! Thats MY turkey pot pie "

- Cartman

Thanks to all for your suggestions...

I zested them all (now frozen for future use) used my incredible hand-held juicer and froze a whole ice-cube-tray of key lime jiuce and have made a quick 'n easy key lime pie. a spunky hot-and-sour shrimp soup (day-am!) and made a wunderbar limeade and vodka cocktail (straight lime juice, simple syrup, mint and vodka!)

Yes, its now frozen, but I'll never buy oversized, under-juicy, flavorless limes again. I'll keep looking and using key limes from my asian market as long as I can!

Jamie

Jamie Lee

Beauty fades, Dumb lasts forever. - Judge Judy