• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean mochi desserts/sweets

I always see these yummy-looking Korean desserts available for sale in Korean supermarkets, ready-to-eat cafes and specalty dessert shops. They seem to be made from sweet rice flour and coated in either brown flour, seeds or bean paste. I really enjoy the plain rice cakes that have the light brown powder on them.

What are they called? Can you make them at home? If so, how?

I'd like to think they're healthier than eating ice cream but the potential carb count scares me... :laugh:

I don't know if this is true for all korean rice cakes, but I know that some are called "mochi" just like the japanese call them.

you can make mochi at home, but I don't know how difficult it is without a rice cake maker (it kneads and mixes the dough for a long time).

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Jilsiru Cafe in Seoul used the broad category "ddeok", but I think the different varieties all had more specific names.

Photos of some of their sweets here

I don't know if this is true for all korean rice cakes, but I know that some are called "mochi" just like the japanese call them.

you can make mochi at home, but I don't know how difficult it is without a rice cake maker (it kneads and mixes the dough for a long time).

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

those are some weird looking rice cakes!

I'm a fan of old school ddeok like those greasy moon shaped ddeok dumplings that are stuffed with sesame seeds. I also like the sticky rice (left whole) thats been mixed with brown sugar and studded with chestnuts, jujubes, pinenuts, raisins, oh my!

I am not a big fan of western style desserts (don't like sweet, but adore savoury) so korean style mochi or ddeok is a great alternative

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA