• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 Gastro tourists in NY-3 dinners, 2 lunches

CSASphinx

OK...So I've accepted, grudgingly, that with our budget this year, Per Se is probably out, as it would take more than 50 percent of our alotted food $$.

But seriously, I'd love to see how some of you NY e-Gers would design a three dinner, two lunch visit to your city.

Extra points for not filling us up (too much anyway) on lunch.

So, no holds barred, we eat pretty much anything. Or anything good.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

I'm assuming this includes tax, tip and alcohol?

2 lunches:

A. Jean Georges. figure $75 apiece to get a good sampling.

B. Yasuda. figure $50 apiece (start with the $24 lunc and then add some pieces ala carte).

so we're $250, $750 to go.

A. Babbo. pasta tasting menu. about $60. after a couple quartinos of wine and tax and tip? you're out $250 total. $500 to go. (alternative? Esca..one of the two best seafood restaurants in the city. $65 tasting menu with $35 paired wines. same total)

B. Momofuku Ssam Bar. you can go crazy for $80 apiece. $340 to go.

C. Eleven Madison Park. or the tasting menu at WD-50. that'll use it up.

that's what I would do.

I'm assuming this includes tax, tip and alcohol?

2 lunches:

A. Jean Georges.  figure $75 apiece to get a good sampling.

B.  Yasuda.  figure $50 apiece (start with the $24 lunc and then add some pieces ala carte).

so we're $250, $750 to go.

A.  Babbo.  pasta tasting menu.  about $60.  after a couple quartinos of wine and tax and tip?  you're out $250 total.  $500 to go.  (alternative?  Esca..one of the two best seafood restaurants in the city.  $65 tasting menu with $35 paired wines.  same total)

B.  Momofuku Ssam Bar.  you can go crazy for $80 apiece.  $340 to go.

C.  Eleven Madison Park.  or the tasting menu at WD-50.  that'll use it up.

that's what I would do.

You're quick on the draw Nathan, thanks.

Eleven Madison is one of our favorites but we haven't been in some time. So perhaps WD-50 (We've never been)

Oh, and something I should have added. We are both very casual folks and prefer that places where we dine not to have even a SNIFF of attitude.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

Jean-Georges was a bit cold and snotty when we went for lunch last month. That's just my take on things but I do prefer a bit o' warmth with my service. (Maybe it's cuz I'm not a native.)

The food was quite yummy, tho. Well executed.

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

Nathan's list is extremely well-crafted, hitting pretty much all of restaurants that get the most consistent praise on these boards. I think he might be low balling a little bit on price (maybe ~5-10%) when you consider tax, gratuity, and alcohol, but the restaurants hes suggests are worth it.

If you haven't been to EMP since Chef Humm came around you should definitely go. With that said, I absolutely love wd~50 so you really can't go wrong. While I'm not as enamored with Babbo as I once was, if you haven't been you should go. It's quintessential.

The beauty of that list is that you get a wide sampling of food and will truly be maximizing your budget to experience not only the "best of breed" in each category but some of the best restaurants in the city, regardless of cuisine or price. I would also argue that for someone trying to experience the best of NYC on a decent budget like yours, a list similar to Nathan's will give you more overall satisfaction than blowing more than half of your money on Per Se.

ETA: This is a fun game. Having the overall budget, a timeline, and some guidelines is a lot better than, "Where should I eat?" If you're really into maximizing what you eat and don't mind being active you could further granularize your budget and go on a restaurant crawl, eating an even wider array of dishes as your budget declines.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

For one of the lunches, I might even be tempted to substitute Momofuku Noodle Bar - possibly a bit less of a hassle to get into than Ssam (of course, depending on what time you're going), and some pretty great market driven cuisine, as well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

ETA: This is a fun game. Having the overall budget, a timeline, and some guidelines is a lot better than, "Where should I eat?" If you're really into maximizing what you eat and don't mind being active you could further granularize your budget and go on a restaurant crawl, eating an even wider array of dishes as your budget declines.
Indeed Bryan! We could do one for each city. A great challenge.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Just noticed that because we will be arriving mid afternoon Friday and leaving in the morning on Monday, Jean Georges is out (at least for lunch) for this trip

SIGH...