• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bouchon or L'Atelier?

I am going to LV August 23-26 and wanted to know which restaurant you would pick between, Bouchon or L'Atelier?  I already plan to go to lotus of siam, but any other suggestions for great cuisine would be greatly appreciated.

Between those two, L'Atelier would be my pick, but try and fit in Bouchon for breakfast

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

We followed the advice above and did L'Atelier for dinner with Bouchon for breakfast. L'atelier was amazing and eye opening we budding young foodies. Easily the most memorable meal of my life so far.

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

Phish Food,

I third that suggestion of going to L'Atelier for dinner and Bouchon for breakfast.

If you need directions in getting to Bouchon at the Venetian, do a search and find my post (with photos) under the Bouchon discussion thread. Half the fun was trying to find the place. Try the quiche. It was so creamy ...

L'Atelier is probably the best food value in Las Vegas. That place is all about the food at an "affordable" price. The nine-course tasting menu, I think it's $139 per person, ehh??

... any other suggestions for great cuisine would be greatly appreciated.

As for other suggestions, how much do you want to spend? And where? On the Strip? Off-Strip? I just got back from my Vegas vacation yesterday. I was staying at the Wynn this time and tried some of their restaurants.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

L'Atelier and Bouchon are two dramatically different price points that I can't really allow myself to compare. Of course L'Atelier offers a far more spectacular experience. But if you just want a delicious sandwich or pastry, clearly Bouchon would be your choice. In my view, they're two restaurants that can't really be reasonably compared. One serves one purpose, the other serves a completely different purpose; each wonderful depending on what YOUR purpose is in-line with.

Another vote for L'Atelier. Bouchon was ok, but ultimately disappointing. L'Atelier was worth the tariff.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Another vote for L'Atelier. Bouchon was ok, but ultimately disappointing. L'Atelier was worth the tariff.

Doc(and others),

I don't see Fleur de Lys mentioned much here, but I do see lots of positive comments about it elsewhere. Reason I ask it that on my next trip, I think the sticker shock at Le Atelier might be too much for my wife and her sister and brother in law. I think I'd hard time dragging them there, so I was wondering if Fleur de Lys is ok...but I'd have zero trouble getting them to B&B, David Burke, Michael Mina and Stripsteak.

Just had a killer meal at Atelier.  Definitely go.  I will post a full report with pictures in a few days in the appropriate thread.  I am also heading to Bouchon for breakfast and will report out on that.

Man, I'd like to go to Le Atelier on my next Vegas trip...will have to see if I can persuade my group. They'll go for something like the Pasta Tasting menu at B&B, cause that's $75pp, then drinks, if we don't go much over $100pp they're cool. I could use some pointers on how to persuade them to try Le Atelier.

Just had a killer meal at Atelier.  Definitely go.  I will post a full report with pictures in a few days in the appropriate thread.  I am also heading to Bouchon for breakfast and will report out on that.

Man, I'd like to go to Le Atelier on my next Vegas trip...will have to see if I can persuade my group. They'll go for something like the Pasta Tasting menu at B&B, cause that's $75pp, then drinks, if we don't go much over $100pp they're cool. I could use some pointers on how to persuade them to try Le Atelier.

Everyone reports that the staff at L'Atelier is very good at accommodating parites where some want to order the full tasting menu while others want to just go al la carte.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

jsmeeker is right. I was surprised when our server suggested that not all of us order the Discovery Menu. I would highly suggest the Club Menu to your group. It's four courses for about $70. Not as good a value, but I'm sure it will still be pretty damn good.

As others have recommended, I too would do Bouchon for breakfast and L'Atelier for dinner.

In my opinion, Bouchon has fallen in the past two years and is not as good for dinner compared to many other fine dining restaurants in Las Vegas that are within the same price range. L'Atelier is in the upper range as far as price goes, but an excellent choice for dinner.

Bouchon can't be beat for breakfast-partly because few other fine dining restaurants in Las Vegas even serve breakfast. Commander's Palace did, but sadly is now closed.

I like Bouchon for breakfast because it is a quiet oasis to enjoy breakfast on the outdoor patio, away from the crowds parading up and down the strip. The breads are quite good, the eggs and service o.k. It's the idea of eating a freshly baked croissant and drinking French press coffee on the patio overlooking beautiful lawns that draw me to Bouchon in the mornings.

jsmeeker is right.  I was surprised when our server suggested that not all of us order the Discovery Menu.  I would highly suggest the Club Menu to your group.  It's four courses for about $70.  Not as good a value, but I'm sure it will still be pretty damn good.

I went to L'Atelier when I was in Las Vegas back in 2006 (late June) with a large group. we did the Discovery Menu.

I might be back in Las Vegas this December. I really want to go back to L'Atlier and the fact that they will allow some to go full Discovery menu and let others order a la carte is really helpful because it will make it a lot easier to convince those who may balk at the Discovery menu (either due to price or what's on it)

I dined at Bouchon for dinner back in June of this year. It was a nice dinner. I don't know if it has slipped as my only previous experience was the 2006 trip, and that was brunch and a breakfast. But I will say that I felt that the service was much better during my recent dinner visits than they were on my brunch and breakfast visits.

And yes, I do recommend that no matter what you do for dinner, hit Bouchon for breakfast. Service may appeart to be a bit more lax, but it's still a great atmosphere. Much better than the typical Las Vegas strip hotel choice of either the 24 hour coffee shop or the buffet. Even when staying across the street at TI like I did, it's probably faster for me to walk across to the Venitian, make my way to the Venezia tower, and get a table at Bouchon than it would be if I hit the coffee shop or buffet at TI.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"