• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Market/Farmers Market in Pacific Grove area?

I will be visiting my sister in PG at the end of the month and hope to be doing a lot of Asian cooking while I am there. She does not cook much and does not know of any Asian markets or good farmer's markets in the area. If any of you could share recommendations, I would be grateful . . . especially so if you happen to know the days and times of any farmer's markets nearby or within reasonable driving distance.

I'd also appreciate any dining recommendations for Castroville and/or Gilroy, as I plan to drive out that way one day while I'm there. Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to visiting this beautiful area.

I don't recall seeing any Asian market in PG, or for that matter in Monterey. I assume that the Asian population is not too high in that area. There are some Asian ingredients in local stores such as Safeway. But the selections are rather limited.

Do you travel from the north through the San Jose area when going down to PG? If so, I would suggest you shop in the Asian markets in the San Jose area (e.g. Milpitas). There are many locations for the 99 Ranch market. Stock up on your ingredients, both fresh and dry and sauces, and store things in the fridge.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I don't recall seeing any Asian market in PG, or for that matter in Monterey.  I assume that the Asian population is not too high in that area.  There are some Asian ingredients in local stores such as Safeway. But the selections are rather limited.

Do you travel from the north through the San Jose area when going down to PG?  If so, I would suggest you shop in the Asian markets in the San Jose area (e.g. Milpitas).  There are many locations for the 99 Ranch market.  Stock up on your ingredients, both fresh and dry and sauces, and store things in the fridge.

Thanks for the response - yes, we are flying into San Jose but our flight arrives at 10 pm, so I don't think we'll be stopping for any groceries on the way to our hotel in PG! I will do a google search and see where the closest 99 Ranch Market is located . . . I am not adverse to a road trip in search of good food stores. Actually, living in a small town in FL, I am accustomed to having to drive for such ingredients. Thanks again!

There are a number of CFM's, Certified Farmers Markets in Monterey County on a variety of days;

Sunday Marina & Salinas, Tuesday Carmel & Old Monterey, Thursday Monterey (not CFM) & Salinas, Saturday Salinas.

For more info on locations and what a CFM is go to www.cafarmersmarkets.com

Enjoy Pacific Grove.

Raoul

"I drink to make other people interesting".