• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tony Bourdain and Dario Cecchini

divina

Tony and his crew just recently filmed tuscany..and of course at the Macelleria Cecchini with Dario and at Solociccia Dario's restaurant.

I think this is being shown this fall.

New Scoop...

Dario will be opening his new place, the University of STEAK, above the butcher shop this september for steak only dinners!

Solociccia does not serve steak.. UofS will only serve steak!

Dario's view of it, an entrecote, the classic T-bone " fiorentina" and his huge slab of beef...

called the Panzanese! his prefered cut.

reservations for either place

macelleriacecchini@tin.it

usually you need to pick a seating, 7pm or 9pm, thurs, fri sat... or sunday lunch (1pm)

Tony and his crew just recently filmed tuscany..and of course at the Macelleria Cecchini with Dario and at Solociccia Dario's restaurant.

I think this is being shown this fall.

New Scoop...

Dario will be opening his new place, the University of STEAK, above the butcher shop this september for steak only dinners!

Solociccia does not serve steak.. UofS will only serve steak!

Dario's view of it, an entrecote, the classic T-bone " fiorentina" and his huge slab of beef...

called the Panzanese! his prefered cut.

reservations for either place

macelleriacecchini@tin.it

usually you need to pick a seating, 7pm or 9pm, thurs, fri sat... or sunday lunch (1pm)

Is the 7 PM seating (and you have to be out before 9, just incredible!!!) just for the tourists? Here is a guy, Dario, who used to be "the real thing" (at least when we were going to his shop). Now, he's become just another pop food guy. What a shame.

Dario is still real, just having fun!

7pn seating as also for Italians that drive from far away, but need to get back the same night.

mostly though you find foreigners, that like to eat earlier!

they way the restaurant works, there is no ordering.. and course after course keep coming out of the kitchen, a really fun experience. and 2 hours of eating is a lot.

those three and 4 hour meals have a lot of down time!

think about it!

and for 30 euro with wine.. one of the best deals in town..anywhere

Why is his opening a restaurant being a pop food guy?

or because Tony bourdain filmed there?

Dario's family has been butcher's for over 200 years, but as he has no children.. the steak stops here.

Dario helps the local population by employing over 15 people, donating to the rebuilding of the children's hospital and other various things.

he is a true renaissance man, over flowing with idea's which he also puts into action, as he is one that follows through.

many of the "Tourists" that come to panzano cannot cook as they are in hotels, which them stimulated him to open a restaurant. of course he still gives away tons of free food while one waits in line.

the local restaurants do not serve his steak, too expensive, so that is also why he is now opening the Big Grill... where he will only serve steak... three ways.

he is also building a garden for the local kids and giving me a space to teach classes in.

Dario will never be a pop food guy, but I think people treat him like one, which is a lack of respect!

TOURISTS, come into the shop snapping foto's without saying even a HI or Bongiorno which really pisses him off.

In Italy, there are a set of manners...

one ALWAYS greats the sales people when entering a shop, any shop.

ALWAYS ask before taking a foto... anywhere

My husband gets really upset... when I take foto's without asking.

sorry if I sound overy protective. but Dario is like a brother to me and often I think people get the wrong idea.. especially when looking from the outside.. and if you don't speak the language.. and don't interact you have a totally different view than those that get a chance to actually involve themselves.

All I want to know is...does Dario deliver?? :laugh::laugh: It sounds really good, and I could go for a great steak right about now!

Seeing him through your eyes has been a pleasure and privilege, and if success mean 'pop sellout', then I'm really confused.

Actually Dario does deliver.. some of Italy, France and Belgium's best restaurants have Dario's food!

overnight!!! Styrafoam boxes, ice packs and DHL!

Would you tell us what foods he is shipping and the names of some of the best restaurants he is shipping to in France and Italy?

In Europe he ships his meats, the mostarda ( my recipe) his salts, the tonno del chianti.

I cannot give out his client list, if you want to know try emailing him!

If you don't have his email message me and I will give it to you.

I know of a michelin star restaurant in Belgium, a place in Paris, Greece.... all over Italy.

Most of Dario's business is shipped out, not walk in clients.

In Italy, there are a set of manners...

one ALWAYS greats the sales people when entering a shop, any shop.

[/quote

interesting but even when you greet the salesperson, you shouldn't expect a reply or for them to look at you! i'm joking mostly but at this point i've been in roma a little over a year so i have a little experience with sales people.

i can't wait to finally take a trip to panzano, do you think Dario would sign a copy of Heat or would that be too much to ask? thanks for the info.

I had read about Dario's shop in one of my cookbooks before going to Italy about 7 years ago. He is like a pop star! He's good looking and very self assured. He had some pepper jelly and cheese out for us to taste. I asked if he would sign my cookbook and could I take his picture. He couldn't have been nicer. THEN, my husband asked if he could cut us a thinner cut of beef. I TOLD him not to ask because he would be offended. In the end, I smoothed things over and everyone left happy. We grilled it on our official Tuscan grill and it was absolutely phenomenal.

I wouldn't ask him to sing HEAT!!!.. try doing the same with mario batali!

Heat is not a popular book with any of the people written about I would immagine.

( the pepper jelly is my recipe)

Good save with the thin meat!

I actually saw DArio cut three thin steaks the other day!!! without a fight!

Must have been a very special client

Heat is not a popular book with any of the people written about I would immagine.

I actually saw DArio cut three thin steaks the other day!!! without a fight!

Must have been a very special client

oh really? that's a shame, that book made me love mario even more and introduced me to the legendary Dario. in fact, i use the book and specifically the dario section in during my lessons (i teach english here in roma) and my students love it.

Thanks for the info.

Odd. I found the section about Dario and the whole butchering in Tuscany piece very emotional and lovingly written. I forget what the closing sentence of that piece was...but I remember it was one of my favorites in the book. I guess I do not understand why he would not like the book.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 4 weeks later...

Meeting Dario and having dinner at Solociccia last week was one of the highlights of my current Italian trip. Before the 9pm seating, my wife (still fiancee at that point) were milling about near Dario's shop. I noticed the door was open and he was inside reading and listening to Bob Dylan. I poked my head in and asked if the shop was open. He said "not for selling meat! Only for hospitality! Have some wine! Have some bread! Have some Salami! Have some ...Bob Dylan!" Then he poured us all some wine and had a toast with us. We chatted a bit but we didn't want to impose so we headed out after a few minutes. A little while later we were across the street waiting to go in to Solociccia. He's in front of his shop surrounded by people. He spots me sitting with my arm around my girl and he smiles and give me a big thumbs up. You could just tell how happy it makes him to make other people happy. Just a wonderful experience.

Just another Pop food guy... I say not.

• 2 weeks later...

This episode aired last night on Travel Channel and was, predictably, quite fun. Dario is pretty much what I imagined him to be. I love that Tony admitted being intimidated and Cesare's advice to just talk louder than Dario.

Further discussion in ongoing on the No Reservations topic on Food on Television and Radio boards . . .