• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cheesesteak/hoagie/roast pork near I-476?

agalarneau

I'm going to be leaving a friend's house in Wilmington, Del. Sunday noonish and driving home, north on I-476. I hate that feeling late in a long drive that I need something to eat but have to resort to roadside plastic McGarbage.

My travel route skirts Philadelphia, but there must be a good sandwich place or three in there close by (up to 10-15 minutes from the highway) that will come in handy up around Binghamton, where Friendly's starts looking good.

I've read so much here about the Philly sandwich experience, not just cheesesteaks but other varieties. Please give me directions to your recommendation within 15 minutes of I-476 - or just a street address, I can Mapquest it easily enough. It'll be a Sunday, as I said, if that matters.

Oh, and please recommend precisely what you'd get at the place. If this works, I'll be blogging it on Buffalo Buffet and here.

Thanks so much for your help.

Definately Tony Lukes. Be sure to get the roast pork italiano, the true Philadelphia sandwich. I sometimes drive there just for lunch, 45 minutes away! The sandwich has perfectly roasted pork with sharp provolone and brocoli rabe all slathered on a housemade roll topped by a gravy that is sheer bliss!

Tony Luke's is closed on Sundays and it adds up to an hours' travel time for somebody going north in I-476.

Other than not meeting the poster's request, it's a great idea. (Until the Tony Luke's boycott gets rolling...I hope that's not in our future.)

Try Charlie's in Folsom for a great burger with a shake. Holly does Charlie's

There's good Italian pork at a deli on the main drag in Conshohocken - the name escapes me...perhaps somebody can help with this place or post a Norristown Zep link.

These are near I-476 (Blue Route) exits.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

For sure I've had my eyes on Tony Luke's, but I think I'll be there Saturday night, in fact. I've also planned to do the South Philly cheesesteak taste-off.

What would be your next choice?

The reason I'm looking for something nearer the I-476 is that I gotta get out of town by 1 pm and I bet there's nothing better along the rest of my drive.

I appreciate your help. Hungry already.

Here's another option, Franzone's, not far from 476. If their stromboli is as good as their pizza, you'll be a happy traveler.

Since you're in South Philly on Saturday night, get your pork Italiano and cheesesteak fix then.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.