• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef

Anthonydy

I loved the finale last night. All in all, I think I would have rather eaten Dale's meal than Hung's, but I think Hung's consistency won the day.

The only jarring note in Hung's menu was the dessert. What do you want after a wonderful Vietnamese-inspired meal? It sure ain't chocolate cake. What would you all have made to end that meal?

Elizabeth Cullen Dunn

"Sex is good, but not as good as fresh, sweet corn." ~Garrison Keillor

I still would have done a dessert. Probably something with coconut to keep with the theme.

I loved the finale last night.  All in all, I think I would have rather eaten Dale's meal than Hung's, but I think Hung's consistency won the day.

The only jarring note in Hung's menu was the dessert.  What do you want after a wonderful Vietnamese-inspired meal?  It sure ain't chocolate cake.  What would you all have made to end that meal?

"Pen and Sword in Accord"

If time were no object, I would finish that meal with a granita. Maybe a scoop of mango, and then a scoop of something tangier like dragonfruit. I think the crunchiness of granita and a bright, sweet-sour taste would have been good after the richness of the duck.

Elizabeth Cullen Dunn

I loved the finale last night.  All in all, I think I would have rather eaten Dale's meal than Hung's, but I think Hung's consistency won the day.

The only jarring note in Hung's menu was the dessert.  What do you want after a wonderful Vietnamese-inspired meal?  It sure ain't chocolate cake.   What would you all have made to end that meal?

Lime sherbert, just like you get at the japanese steakhouse :raz:

Actually considering what all was served, chocolate would finish nicely. Plus Hung "BAKED" chocolate cake in high altitude and pulled it off.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

The only jarring note in Hung's menu was the dessert.  What do you want after a wonderful Vietnamese-inspired meal?  It sure ain't chocolate cake.  What would you all have made to end that meal?

Lime sherbert, just like you get at the japanese steakhouse :raz:

Actually considering what all was served, chocolate would finish nicely. Plus Hung "BAKED" chocolate cake in high altitude and pulled it off.

Hey, it's not baking at high altitude that's hard, it's adapting all your recipes for sea level! :-)

Elizabeth Cullen Dunn

I'm no chef and I don't really know Vietnamese food and what they have for sweets, but if it were me in that scenario and I felt the need to give them dessert (which isn't wrong IMHO, as I love dessert and like to finish meals with it) I would have done something with the fruit they had access too.

Maybe do something with ginger. Or maybe something with a little spicy chilli pepper or something.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I saw the whole series and while I am not by any stretch a chef, Dale's food just looked better to me. I thought the chocolate cake at the end of Hung's meal should have lost it for him. A fantastic meal, then you end it with something so everyday....

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child