• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic Shallot Sauce

hosinmigs

Home cook, obviously. Is the classic shallot sauce, like that served at Les Halles and other bistros, simply demi-glace, red wine, shallots and butter? Or am I missing some serious ingredient. I'm going to shoot for the stars this weekend and make a demi-glace. Laugh all you want :biggrin:

“There is no sincerer love than the love of food.”

I think that's probably it. You just have to fiddle around with reducing the wine and stock to get the consistency you want.

I like to use some very finely diced portabello mushrooms as well. Add a little butter right before you serve to finish it.

Also, use salt and pepper as needed to season. You really need the salt if you use unsalted butter and low salt stock.

Edited by DTBarton (log)