• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Bernardin

rockefeller666

Le Bernadin is a good restaurant. However, a bit like Tom Hanks. Showed some early promise, got famous, commands a high price and overall isn't that interesting to me anymore.

"To me" are the most telling words in this post. LeB continues to serve wonderful meals to people who, I feel reasonably sure, aren't merely impressed because they read in a tattered old review that it is purported to be good. It remains, by the standards of this town, extraordinary.

This town needs higher standards if LeB is supposed to be considered "extraordinary". I went last night for dinner after having an amazing as always lunch at per se. LeB service was a complete joke with countless mistakes and being quite obvious they couldnt careless about us. Everything from making us wait 20 minutes PAST our reservation time to sit down to bringing wrong dishes, cold dishes, wrong silverware multiple times, not refolding napkins when one of us got up to use the rest room (not a big deal but is noticeable at this level), when we ordered desert we ordered 3 of them each and they brought out all 3 at once two of which were melting while we ate the first one - that of everything seriously pissed me off. It is beyond me how they have more than one star let alone 3 with subpar service like this. While the food was very good I must say I was slightly more impressed with the fish courses I had at per se earlier in the day - perhaps because they actually care unlike LeB. I also must say the countless staff walking around the dining room with those metal necklaces look completely absurd. Charging $17 for house sparkling water and espresso etc was also a bit tacky and nickel and diming when your spending hundreds of dollars per person. The one major plus of LeB was they did not automatically add the tip to the check because they had no chance in hell of us walking out and leaving anything close to a 20% or more tip.

• 1 month later...

Today Le Bernardin pastry chef Michael Laiskonis announced his departure from the restaurant early next year "to pursue new dreams, new ways of expressing [himself] through cooking, and new ways of exchanging ideas." It'll be interesting to see what that means!

Edit: It looks like it means he will be leaving the kitchen to write and teach.

Edited by mkayahara (log)

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

• 6 months later...
  • 10 years later...

Wells recently re-reviewed Le B, and it once again retained its four stars...

Eric Ripert and his team have emerged from the pandemic still carrying the flag for French technique, exquisitely handled seafood and pure pleasure.

IMG_8845.thumb.jpeg.c817edbf961c0072596d3170c92b3914.jpeg

Birthday aperitifs, at the bar.

IMG_8849.thumb.jpeg.e0b86417221aca0edd88de7fbf8571ff.jpeg

Amuses, including the classic lobster bisque.

IMG_8854.thumb.jpeg.b77b54f9cc8172282924d49e59858c95.jpeg

Oyster/Uni with Nori Cracker

IMG_8855.thumb.jpeg.2dd12bcdccaeb46d60acbfc670be5b14.jpeg

Tuna/Foie.  What makes a restaurant great?  How about consistency?  I've had this dish before; it's one of their classics, and it's always great.

IMG_8856.thumb.jpeg.0ade51f25ee9706a4db5cdfb9fc4ca3d.jpeg

Shellfish medley in smoked pork dashi.

IMG_8859.thumb.jpeg.65c2b8b637196fbea3d824a28a6572db.jpeg

Poached Lobster Tail; Foie Gras-Mushroom-Truffle “Cake”, Natural Jus

Just a few desserts...

IMG_8860(1).thumb.jpeg.e6b2cfa973ca15868436b780a1e6fdbc.jpeg

IMG_8861.thumb.jpeg.640f7405501ea56239ea537ffe2ef4b3.jpeg

IMG_8862(1).thumb.jpeg.ba29dd9bdd6c980b4a652c4012402646.jpeg

And petit fours, which we took home...and ate last night!

IMG_8872.thumb.jpeg.7481ab0a8a974b989368f58c1065fbac.jpeg

Our favorite restaurant in NYC - wish we could eat here more often!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Action item #1: make that business trip to the US.

Action item #2: convince assistant that stop over at NYC is not an hardship that needs to be avoided.

Action item #3: align all those variables with a visit to Le Bernadin.

(Action item #4: meet up with @weinoo afterwards for a drink and smack him with the bill of AI #3, that damn enabler … 😝)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

49 minutes ago, weinoo said:

IMG_8859.thumb.jpeg.65c2b8b637196fbea3d824a28a6572db.jpeg

Poached Lobster Tail; Foie Gras-Mushroom-Truffle “Cake”, Natural Jus

Over 20 years ago, they used to have an appetizer on their menu that was a shrimp ravioli (there were 3 of them) in a foie gras truffle sauce.  The shrimp ravioli were basically just a vehicle for that sauce which was so good I had no shame in licking that plate clean so there wasn't a drop left over.  Ridiculously delicious but was probably the sole reason my cholesterol shot up like 40 points.

Years later I made it a few times for dinner parties - there's a lot of raw foie gras that blended in, and a lot of whole butter whisked in at the end!

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I really want to go. I also really am not interested in taking the train to Manhattan, it’s unreliable and exhausting. 

If I could find an open reservation on Resy when nothing major is happening in Manhattan, I’d jump on it and take car service. Would even be fine dining solo. 

4 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

I really want to go. I also really am not interested in taking the train to Manhattan, it’s unreliable and exhausting. 

If I could find an open reservation on Resy when nothing major is happening in Manhattan, I’d jump on it and take car service. Would even be fine dining solo. 

I forget if they have a bar. I'll often slide into a bar seat when dining alone.

Agreed about the train. I did it daily for years. Even after all the renovation its still pretty grim and would be a stain on an otherwise nice evening. Maybe stay overnight at the Carlysle and have a drink in Bemelmans?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I forget if they have a bar. I'll often slide into a bar seat when dining alone.

Yes, they have a bar/lounge...https://www.le-bernardin.com/menus/lounge/lounge-menu

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Our top ten most memorable meals are not in any particular order but LeBernadin I might put on top. Consistently fantastic and not too fussy with tweezers. I can't think of a similar seafood forward meal I like better. Bottom ten are due to a lazy kitchen and/or bad service. Usually Italian like Babo. 

Bar service is a great way to stop in without reservations and get a good light meal. Unfortunately our brunch/lunch or nights out are Sundays when everyone else has the same idea....but I'm just as happy with a good taco or slice if wait time is unbearable. 

Like most NewYorkers of a certain age, we would rather eat glass than wait in a line for anything...always something good around the corner. 

• Like 1