• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butter Chicken Recipe?

currypuff

Does anyone have a good recipe for butter chicken?

Something that doesn't have a million ingredients and isn't too fatty?

I know, who am I kidding, it's BUTTER CHICKEN made with cream...

My only experience is getting the PC sauce in a jar *yum*...

I saw on one of the Food network TV shows once... forget the name of the show, but the lady goes in to a family's house and show's them how to get the whole family involved in cooking. She made butter chicken in a slow cooker... no cream, but yogurt instead if I remember correctly... and it seemed really straightforward.

Has anyone tried Sara Moulton's recipe?

Thanks!

"I saw on one of the Food network TV shows once... forget the name of the show, but the lady goes in to a family's house and show's them how to get the whole family involved in cooking. She made butter chicken in a slow cooker... no cream, but yogurt instead if I remember correctly... and it seemed really straightforward."

Believe that this is the reference to the show you saw:

http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=7298

It has yogurt, milk and half & half.

Haven't tried it so not sure how it compares to other butter chicken recipies.

Kay

This recipe for Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) is what I've used in the past, and really enjoyed it. The first time I made it I followed the recipe and used the marinade, which was tasty. But since then if I'm in more of a hurry I just use a jarred tandoori paste plus some yoghurt to marinate the chicken, which in my opinion is just as good. You could probably replace some or all of the cream with yoghurt, too. One thing I wouldn't change is the sprinkling of garam masala and ground cumin at the end -- it really adds a lot.

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

Murgh Makhani is a truly wonderful dish. I tried to make it once, the sauce i got just right - rich and flavourful. Finished with Methi leaves i think gives the dish it's distinctive aroma. However, the tandoori chicken itself i just could not get right. Again, i think i got the spice blend for the marinade spot on but i couldn't get my grill (broiler) hot enough. I really wanted that tandoori char effect and it's really difficult at home with a tandoor oven!!

Ah well, it's not a problem since i live in Birmingham, which as all civilised people know is the curry capital of the Western world :biggrin:

Thanks for all the help... I am ready to fulfill my butter chicken recipe.

Boy I sure needed a ton of ingredients! Definitely will toast my spices first to bring out the flavour (they've been sitting around a bit). My AUNT, who is a serious foodie, actually told me to buy a JAR OF PATAK'S sauce... Can you imagine such a suggestion?

I'm going to work between Trish magwood, Sara Moulton's and that other ladies recipes... wish me luck. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
My AUNT, who is a serious foodie, actually told me to buy a JAR OF PATAK'S sauce... Can you imagine such a suggestion?

I used Nana's jarred sauce mixed w/ 1L of whipping cream for my last sauce (large party, 50 ppl). Chicken had been marinated in yogurt & "curry powder, madras deluxe" from Galloways (available on-line), then baked, broken down, and added to the sauce. Was a hit. Was also easy. :-)

Karen Dar Woon