• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

open top pastry cases

sugarseattle

I'm looking for a supplier of one of those open top REFRIGERATED pastry cases like they have in paris and having no luck. If anyone can tell me the name of the company who makes these, or where I might be able to get them in the states that would be fabulous.

Here's an example from Laduree. Pierre Herme has 'em. So does Sadahuru Aoki.

fauchon.jpg

Edited by sugarseattle (log)

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

Would those cases even pass the health dept. inspection here?

I would think not, since I know that unwrapped food cannot be displayed without some sort of covering, such as a sneeze guard or whatever.

I think cases like that look really cool, but have too many drawbacks. Too much temptation for customers to touch things, and you know they will. No protection from dust particles or bugs. And I would imagine they are not the most efficient at cooling and would draw more energy, but that's just a guess. If that type of case is supposed to be self serve, then there's another can of worms I'd rather not deal with. :wacko:

I think Jean Philippe Patisserie at Bellagio has something like what your talking about

Their cases are open in the back, but covered on top and in front.

gallery_5180_630_1106000300.jpg

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I was thinking of the Bellagio cases as well. Those are just standard tube steel and glass dividers attached to the counter, with the open case you want. Great way to get around the health department issue.

Something similar is used for raw bars/fish displays (I know of the one at SeaGrill in Tacoma.) Sorry, don't know the manufacturer, but I bet Smith and Greene Restaurant supply does.