• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi restaurants in Montclair and vicinity

jpr54_

Dai-Kichi

608 Valley Rd

Montclair, NJ 07043

(973) 744-2954

Nori

561 Bloomfield Ave

Montclair, NJ 07042

(973) 655-8805

Nori

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I am a big fan of Nouveau Sushi where the chef/owner is a former chef from Nobu. The stuff from the standards to the "nouveau" sushi is always good and very fresh. The miso cod is also classically good. It's a nice-looking restaurant as well.

I have found the quality of fish at DaiKichi to be not that good and avoid the place.

there's a place on North Fullerton just off bloomfield that someone with a better memory than me will remember the name of, that is also supposed to be good.

• 10 months later...

Hi all. I'm bumping up this thread to recommend a fairly new Japanese restaurant in Upper Montclair, Toro, 44 Upper Montclair Plaza; it's in that strip between Charlie Brown's and Magnolia Wine. The fish here is fresher than any we've had in Montclair or New Jersey, and about as fresh and well-prepared as most of what we've had in New York. The straight-ahead sushi and sashimi are excellent; there are some innovative rolls and raw-fish appetizers as well, such as a white tuna wrapped around arugula with a yuzu sauce. Staff are friendly and skillful at recommending what's fresh and special (eg, the live-scallop sashimi we had Friday at lunch--oh man, we're talkin' fresh). The atmosphere is kind of generic sushi bar, so it'd be easy to look in, assume it's ordinary and move on, but I'd encourage eGulleters in the area to check it out. It's really good, and we want to make sure it sticks around a while!.