• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Schools, Classes in Paris and France

This is one of a series of compendia that seeks to provide information available in prior threads on eGullet. Please feel free to add links to additional threads or posts or to add suggestions.

Long term pastry school

Olivier Bajard

Lyon, Drome, Arles

ESCF Ferrandi vs the others

Cordon Bleu vs LeNotre

In Bordeaux

In Provence

Steinbach at the Ritz

Schools that serve meals

Gastronomy College

Best Cooking Schools in Paris

A Week in Provence

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 year later...

Saturday’s Figaro had an article by Alexandra Michot entitled the "Rentrée of scholarly classes" about where to learn and meet and exercise. They include:

Primo One:

Guy Martin

Bio ones:

Michel Guérard

l’École Ritz Escoffier

A green one:

Laurence at 01 53 16 10 81.

Spices:

Patrick du Cros in Aulas at 04 67 81 75 74.

Verrines:

The Pourcels at 04 67 79 07 68.

Beginners:

Lenôtre at 01 42 65 97 60 and 04 97 06 67 65.

Fruits and veggies for kids

Kids with Alain Cirelli

Small plates

Molecular cuisine

Anne Cazor

Special utensils:

October 2nd

A Stage-Sejour near the Loire at 05 49 02 82 77.

Cook-dating

Fred Chesneau at 01 40 29 46 04.

Meetic

Häagen-Dazs for a parent and kid at 01 44 61 67 98.

John Talbott

• 4 months later...

Figaroscope’s Dossier this week concerned cooking schools/classes in Paris that Colette Monsat and colleagues “tested” {the details and descriptions should stay on the website for several weeks}:

Atelier des sens

Wa-bi Salon

L'École de dégustation

Atelier Guy Martin

Atelier des Chefs, Lafayette Maison

Bar du Park Hyatt Vendôme

Parole in Cucina

École Ritz Escoffier

Le Cordon Bleu

École Lenôtre

Chef Martial

Alain Cirelli.

John Talbott

• 2 months later...

I am curious about professional cooking schools in Paris. Does anyone offer something like a "master class?"

I am not interested in any courses geared towards amateurs or tourists (the vast majority available, it seems), nor even for beginners, which probably makes something like the Cordon Bleu a bad fit. I have been cooking for some years now and plunking down a ton of money to learn things I already know with a bunch of 19 year old classmates does not appeal to me.

I don't speak French but I am willing to bust my butt to learn it if I need to

• 3 weeks later...
I am curious about professional cooking schools in Paris.  Does anyone offer something like a "master class?" 

. . .

I don't speak French but I am willing to bust my butt to learn it if I need to

In 2006, a friend described a professional program that might work for you:

" I'm taking the bilingual program for French cuisine at Ecoles Gregoire-Ferrandi. This is a one year program, 9 months of classes and three months internship."

It took her quite a few months to bring up her French, but at least that was part of the program. I have no current info on this school.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Can anyone suggest a good French language one-day cooking class in Paris that welcomes both adults and teens? I am planning my annual trip with my two daughters, aged 15 and 18. We are all conversant, though not totally fluent. I have in the past done a couple of classes at Lenotre with my older daughter, but last year we were told that my then 14-year-old daughter "didn't belong" in the class as it was supposed to be for adults. (It wasn't a language or behavior issue; we were reprimanded before the class began). We would prefer a baking/pastry class, and it is important that it be conducted in French. We are also all very comfortable in the kitchen and so want something that teaches real new skills (not just another simple menu). The Lenotre classes were great -- we've done one chocolate class and one macaron class -- and I'd like to find something similar where my younger daughter would also be welcome.

• 6 months later...