• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry School

Anni

Hi all,

This post originally appeared over in Pastry & Baking, but someone suggested that I post here for additional info/input, so here goes...

One of my true loves in the pastry world are French-style cakes -- entremets, petits gateaux, etc. Unfortunately, my pastry training and work experience has not offered me as much opportunity as I'd like to pursue these topics. I've made some efforts on my own, but it's been like learning in a vacuum.

I'm currently between jobs and now have the opportunity to travel to France this fall to take classes. I'm considering both Bellouet Conseil and Lenotre, but cannot decide. Has anyone taken courses at either school? What can you say about your experiences there regarding the instructors, facilities, coursework, etc?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Understand that theres many thread on french schools.

But can anyone advise me on some good public vocational trainings in pastry that is open for foreign adults. I cant seem to find details for these type of study and school for adults.

All I can find are these private schools below. Please advise which of these is a decent school that can seriously help to further enhance professional pastry skills. I wouldnt wish to end up in a school just because of its reputation. I hope to learn more from there and hopefully get a internship.

1) Ecole Nationale Supérieure de la Pâtisserie (do they have long term courses now?)

2) Olivier Bajard (Famous due to guest chef?)

3) Bellouet conseil (Famous due to Old reputation?)

4) Ferrandi

5) Gastronomicom in south France (anyone heard of this organisation? Is it reliable? website at http://www.gastronomicom.fr/)

Last summer I had the opportunity to meet with officials from several culinary/hospitality programs in France, including some from your list. During these discussions the officials very kindly tried to highlight some of the differences between my American concepts of schools and those in France.

As I understand it, there isn't as clear a distinction between public and private programs as you might find in the United States. Some programs (like Bellouet and Bajard) are clearly private, but the "public" programs are a mix, like CFAs. At CFAs, most students are apprentices subsidized by "la taxe d'apprentissage" assessed on businesses. But other students are paying their own way. Some schools even blend the two so the same physical facility and the same classes are a mix of students enrolled in two separate schools, one public, one private.

The question of whether a foreign student could attempt an apprentissage came up, and the answer was a qualified yes, that exceptions could be made to the usual processes. But it's not likely a simple matter and you'd have to contact one of the public programs (or a mixed one, like Ferrandi) for a more concrete answer. As apprentissages are often several months of schooling alternating with several months of working for your sponsoring business, over a several year period, it might be "longer term" than you're actually looking for.

That said, some of the private programs you've listed have excellent reputations, which I know you don't want to rely on, but it's all I have to go on. All of the French pastry chefs I've worked with here in the United States have expressed the highest regard and reverence for Joel Bellouet and his school. Bajard's program has also been viewed as excellent, and ENSP as good. I've toured Ferrandi's facilities myself and was extremely impressed. The last one on your list I've never heard of.

For what it's worth, if I won the lottery tonight I'd be a student at Bellouet Conseil as soon as it could be arranged.

Brian Ibbotson

Pastry Sous for Production and Menu Research & Development

Sous Chef for Food Safety and Quality Assurance

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Bibbotson for your reply.

True enough its difficult to get into an apprentice program for foreigners. Almost impossible after talking to a French education embassy personnel.

I have contacted Bellouet as well, and its more likely a course and 1 mth internship only.

I have recently thought of the French Pastry School in Chicago. How do u compare this school to those in France?

In your opinions, which school will benefit me most since I have already started in the pastry working world.

Do you live in Chicago now?

Where is your citizenship from?

Kendall College is considered the best school in Chicago. If you have experience there is demand here constantly for Pastry chefs of all levels.

There are more than a few employers here that would pay your way.

Once here you are eligible for their Study Abroad Program.

Here is their Scholarship information.. When they say "eligible non-citizen" I think they mean have a student visa.

I've been looking at them as well. Still haven't gone in and talked to them. I'm told they have many "mini" courses not listed on their website. I've been told they have classes going on 18 hours a day.

You may also find these classifieds useful.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

Host's Note:

In order to keep things straight here and make topics searchable, let's confine the France Forum to pastry schools in France (comparisons with ones in the US or elsewhere is OK, but if we become the Chicagobis site, it'll become confusing.) So if the discussion switches to Chicago & the US, I'll split the topic. OK? Thanks.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris