• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

terebinth berries

Has anyone eaten or prepared a terebinth berry pie aka Tremithopitta/Çitlemitli bitta?

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

Paula, Hi.....

In the few cases where I have encountered the terebinth berries, they have either been eaten raw or steeped in olive oil to add a sweet-sour hint to the oil which is then used in salads such as tabbouleh. My experiences are limited to Israel and Turkey but I understand that in parts of Sicily they are also used as a garnish to lamb dishes.

Now you've got me curious as well about their possible use in pies.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. I can't wait to read more on the subject.

-Paula

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

• 3 months later...

In some parts of Turkey and Greece they pan roast them, then grind them for "coffee." It's quite rich because of the oil in the fruits (they are in the same genus as pistachios).

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria