• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nicholas

chopjwu12

Hello all just wanted to let everyone know that there is another nicholas wine tatsing. I am posting a link to the info for everyone. Its a little different this time. The cost is 95 dollars and its a walk around hourdourve(sp) party. 50 dollars of the 95 goes to wine purchases. But like i said its all on the web page.

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/nicholas/n...er.html?m=14201

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to say i met the lovely helena sarin today and it was as i expected a pleasure to finally do so. She dines at my restaurant with her husband and family. I got to sneak out and say hello and have a short but sweet conversation. It was a pleasure and i hope to see you soon.

I would just like to say i met the lovely helena sarin today and it was as i expected a pleasure to finally do so. She dines at my restaurant with her husband and family. I got to sneak out and say hello and have a short but sweet conversation. It was a pleasure and i hope to see you soon.

Sure--you sneak out to meet Helena and not me! :biggrin:

Story --Table Hopping With Rosie

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Dave, it's just not fair: i was tied up in meetings for the whole morning, and you stole my line :raz:

OK, here it goes anyway. I can confirm what my daughter told me, Dave is such a cute guy!

And i'm so impressed by my Nicholas experience. Everything was great: food, service, decor... and wine: i think i had a dream about it last night.

LOL it was thursday and we weren't busy ROSIE!!!!! :raz:

I promise the next time you come in i will stop everything and run out so i can finally meet you. I am sorry about the last time though i really did want to go out. :biggrin:

Why don't you invite me into the kitchen and then I can talk to you while you are cooking. :wink:

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie my dear you can come into my kicthen anytime!!!!!

Cute huh LOL maybe when i was 30 pounds lighter then i was HOT!!!! I wish :biggrin:

So helena tell us a little about your experience. I cant remember what everyone had to eat as appetizers. Please let the people know. My question did you order the snapper because of me or is that what you really wanted? :biggrin: How was your cheese? How was dessert? Did you like the predessert of sagu(sp) topica and passion fruit? Did you like the amuse of raw fluke? We get that sent back all the time. Not because its not good because i like it alot but i think some people have some crazy fear of eating raw fluke. Please share your experience with me. I like to know how we are doign back in the kicthen.

By the way i can set up a chair at that cheese board and eat almost every single one on there. :biggrin:

Cute huh LOL maybe when i was 30 pounds lighter then i was HOT!!!! I wish :biggrin:

but it's true! And as the editor of GQ put it, by and large, a woman doesn't want a man who is thinner than she is...

My question did you order the snapper because of me or is that what you really wanted?  

Both. I usually order fish when we dine out, since as it was discussed previously, it's a pain to find a great fish to prepare at home. And in this case, i was not disappointed: your snapper was outstanding and i liked the nut crust.

How was your cheese? How was dessert? Did you like the predessert of sagu(sp) topica and passion fruit? Did you like the amuse of raw fluke? We get that sent back all the time.

We didn't order cheese, because eveybody wanted dessert. Guava cheesecake was delicious, although it was more a cake, than a cheesecake. and it has only a hint of guava. Kids are still raving about the ice cream.

We polished off all the fluke ( i have no problem with raw whatever) and predessert as well (is sagu the same as tapioca ?)

btw, if it's not a secret, do you bake your bread or you order it from somewhere?

but it's true! And as the editor of GQ put it, by and large, a woman doesn't want a man who is thinner than she is...

I was never skinny you cant be when you stepped on the scale and it sais 190 and your only 5'4" LOL But i was just alot more built back then. SOmething like your husband(which i commented to your daughter) who was a very big guy built wise. She told me he was quite an athlete.

Its funny you say that about the cheesecake because to my knowledge the only cake part of it is the bottom crust and thats it. You may have thought it was cakeier(sp) because im preety sure its a ricotta cheesecake but i have to check on that for you today.

Sagu is a type of tapioca. I like its size grain. I love that predessert i always take soem when im in the pastry area. And the icecreams are great. I love the mango sorbet my favorite.

The bread i have to say and its no secret is delivered from eli's(sp) of NY. Very good bread but i still wish we made our own. But we dont have the manpower or the right ovens and other equipment to tackle that task. Its really hard to make your own bread. Its a one man job but its an all day job. Maybe one day after the expantion but who knows. If it does happen it wouldn't be for a while.

......Sagu is a type of tapioca. I like its size grain. .....

Wisenheimer Wolf again doing some research:

"Sago

Definition: [sAY-goh] A starch extracted from the sago (and other tropical) palms that is processed into flour, meal and pearl sago, which is similar to tapioca. South Pacific cooks frequently use sago for baking and for thickening soups, puddings and other desserts. In the Orient and in India it's used as a flour and in the United States it's occasionally used as a thickener.

Tapioca

Definition: [tap-ee-OH-kuh] A starchy substance extracted from the root of the cassava plant. It's available in several forms including granules, flakes, pellets (called pearl tapioca) and flour or starch. The most widely available forms are tapioca flour (also called cassava flour) and pearl tapioca. The flour is used as a thickening agent for soups, fruit fillings, glazes, etc., much like cornstarch. Pearl tapioca is used mainly to make pudding and comes in several sizes, regular or instant forms and in a variety of prepackaged flavors. Pearl tapioca is available in most supermarkets, whereas the other forms are more commonly found in health-food stores and Asian markets. If stored in a cool, dark place, all types of tapioca will keep indefinitely.

--Copyright © 1995 by Barron's Educational Series, from The New Food Lover's Companion, Second Edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst

Peter