• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filet of bengali fishes

abhi

Hello All,

I have been thinking of preparing some meals from the fishes I used to eat as a kid in India. My family is from Bengal and I was raised on diet of Rui, Katla, Ilish, Magur etc. (I dont know their english names).

So far I have always prepared them using the traditional Bengali recipes. But now I am inclined towards just grilling/roasting/steaming them with some spicy rubs. To that end I am interested in cutting the filets from these fishes. So far I have always got them cut into steaks (I think thats the word. I may be wrong though) and these fishes usually have lot of bones to deal with.

I want to know if anybody has ever tried filets of the fishes I mention above and if anyone can tell me how they cut it. I was told that these fishes do not lend well to filets and just wanted to get other opinions on the matter.

Thanks all.

Abhi.