• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert Minis For a Shower

Pam R

It looks awesome. I love doing events like this. Would the raspberry tarts have been better if you'd had time to garnish them? I know appearance is so important in getting things "off the plate". A swirl of red would look nice but I can't think of what you could use. I don't think a red jelly would hold it's shape, melted red wafers would cheapen the look. Any ideas what you could use?

I make some apricot squares that are in recipegullet. They are awesome but if I don't decorate them, no one even tries them. If I do decorate them, they fly off the plate. We are such visual creatures.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Everything looks great - the lemon meringue are perfect!

They were my favorites. :wub: (thanks)

Would the raspberry tarts have been better if you'd had time to garnish them? I know appearance is so important in getting things "off the plate". A swirl of red would look nice but I can't think of what you could use. I don't think a red jelly would hold it's shape, melted red wafers would cheapen the look. Any ideas what you could use?

This is what happened. I wanted to add just a swirl of whipped cream and a fresh raspberry to them. My mother, remembering a tart she used to get at a local bakery years ago, thought they needed a sugar/icing (a la the Imperial Cookie). Before I knew what was happening, they were being iced. Ugh. We tried adding some fresh raspberries but they just ran.

In the end, the bride tried one right away and declared them her favorite dessert. There were only a few left at the end of the night, so they were wrapped up for her to take home.

BTW - this wasn't a catered event. This was my cousin's shower. My sister and I are in the wedding party, so we co-hosted the shower. I would have liked more variety, but by the time we got done with the savoury food, there was only so much we could do.