• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert Bar in Kansas City

avant-garde

Do you think a dessert bar would be successful in Kansas City? I have recently been paying close attention to similar places like Chikalicious, Room 4 Dessert, and Kyotofu in NYC and am curious to know if something like that would even have a chance in KC.

Overview of what I envision it to be like:

An upscale sit-down dessert bar where you come to eat sweets (no savory items). You could also enjoy high-end coffee, dessert wines, cognacs, teas, etc. Maybe you'd stop by after dinner at another restaurant or perhaps after eating burgers at home. We would have nice plated desserts and wine parings with any of the desserts. There would also be the option of doing a three or five course tasting at a set price.

Some glaring questions:

What would need to be done extremely well? Besides everything...

What are some good locations in the city for this sort of thing?

What are the pros and cons of doing something like this in KC?

For those who are not familiar with this concept, here are some links to the places I mentioned above:

Chikalicious

http://hungryhedonist.blogspot.com/2006/03/chikalicious.html

Kyotofu

http://hungryhedonist.blogspot.com/2007/04/kyotofu.html

Room 4 Dessert

http://gothamist.com/2006/01/24/camera_in_the_k_9.php

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

Do you think a dessert bar would be successful in Kansas City?  I have recently been paying close attention to similar places like Chikalicious, Room 4 Dessert, and Kyotofu in NYC and am curious to know if something like that would even have a chance in KC. 

Overview of what I envision it to be like:

An upscale sit-down dessert bar where you come to eat sweets (no savory items).  You could also enjoy high-end coffee, dessert wines, cognacs, teas, etc.  Maybe you'd stop by after dinner at another restaurant or perhaps after eating burgers at home.  We would have nice plated desserts and wine parings with any of the desserts.  There would also be the option of doing a three or five course tasting at a set price. 

Some glaring questions:

What would need to be done extremely well?  Besides everything...

What are some good locations in the city for this sort of thing?

What are the pros and cons of doing something like this in KC?

For those who are not familiar with this concept, here are some links to the places I mentioned above:

Chikalicious

http://hungryhedonist.blogspot.com/2006/03/chikalicious.html

Kyotofu

http://hungryhedonist.blogspot.com/2007/04/kyotofu.html

Room 4 Dessert

http://gothamist.com/2006/01/24/camera_in_the_k_9.php

Anything is possible...

KC is going to be a bigger food town in the next 5 to 10 years from now. It's been growing and it hasn't really stopped growing.

The problem that I see with Kansas City is that it's so spread out. You can't just go to one place and expect to stay in the same area to do different activities. For example, in Denver if you go downtown, you have all three major sport teams' stadiums and arenas. Besides sporting events, you get other entertainment attractions. Along with all three being walking distance from the heart of downtown, you get massive amounts of bars, breweries, clubs, diners, and high end restaurants. Down the street, there's a gigantic performing arts theater and also four different major museums. So you have all of this with two different mass transit light rails, busses, taxis, and a free 16th street mall bus ride up and down the entire area.

Currently I only see the country club plaza having enough foot and auto traffic.

Town Center is just a big playground for high school kids. Downtown is not developed enough but one day I think will be. Westport is dead during the week but weekends I could see a high end dessert bar being completely packed.

For me, if I was going to a dessert bar, I'd like it to be in Westport or the plaza. Maybe even the Crossroads. If this is in 5 years from now, maybe even downtown if the development is there, the sprint arena sparks energy downtown, and new entertainment venues start to grow.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

This concept is being explored in nearby Columbia, MO. The Upper Crust Bakery with their dessert bark Encore. (This website doesn't have Encore info on it yet.)

Here's a newspaper article about it.

I haven't been to Encore yet, but I love the Upper Crust desserts, and am looking forward to trying out what pastry chef Brandon Kelley is going to bring. I plan on using it for birthdays or bachelorette parties. Seems great to me, but they've only been open a week, so I'll keep you posted. I don't know if the size difference of the cities will be a big deal, but I'm happy to help.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Also,

What's the concept going to be? I think this plays a huge role in your location.

As for me, when I think of dessert I think of one thing : "It better be damn sexy"

Desserts seem to taste better at night time and at night I would rather be in a place that is more modern, sexy, and upscale. Which I think is just a classic combination with dessert. For me, I think of hot spots in Miami and NYC with tons of people enjoying the after hours in some place of that nature.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Also,

What's the concept going to be? I think this plays a huge role in your location.

As for me, when I think of dessert I think of one thing : "It better be damn sexy"

Desserts seem to taste better at night time and at night I would rather be in a place that is more modern, sexy, and upscale. Which I think is just a classic combination with dessert. For me, I think of hot spots in Miami and NYC with tons of people enjoying the after hours in some place of that nature.

The concept would be very modern. Not sure if you've ever been to the bar on the plaza called Blonde, but in terms of design that is what I'm thinking (albeit less 'clubby'). There would be seating at an actual bar where the dessert plating would take place. Also, there would be seating at actual tables. See the inside of Kyotofu above.

As for the size, I want it to be rather small (like the size of a stand-alone Starbuck's for example). I realize to do something like this it has to be 100%. That includes: Service, food quality, style, innovation, and yes - even being sexy. It needs to be a hot spot that constantly evolves and wows the customer.

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

This concept is being explored in nearby Columbia, MO. The Upper Crust Bakery with their dessert bark Encore.  (This website doesn't have Encore info on it yet.)

I haven't been to Encore yet, but I love the Upper Crust desserts, and am looking forward to trying out what pastry chef Brandon Kelley is going to bring. I plan on using it for birthdays or bachelorette parties. Seems great to me, but they've only been open a week, so I'll keep you posted. I don't know if the size difference of the cities will be a big deal, but I'm happy to help.

This concept is a bit different than what I have in mind because I won't be doing catering and I won't have breads and similar items. It won't be a bakery of any sorts. It will be plated desserts only and quite a bit more upscale. Imagine a small fine dining restaurant that only serves dessert, wine, coffee, etc.

Thanks, The Hopry

Some glaring questions:

What would need to be done extremely well?  Besides everything...

I think that's the key question. Why will people come to a dessert bar? Will this be their destination for the evening (eat dinner at home, go out for dessert)? Will this be a place that they go after having dinner out (and, if so, why go to a second place after having dinner at a place that already offers dessert)?

Personally, I'm a "foodie". I enjoy delicious food, and I particularly enjoy delicious desserts. I could see myself going to a place like this, but the desserts better be absolutely superb. If they're just going to be the same selection of cheesecake or turtle pie or key lime pie you can find almost anywhere, or if they're going to be something different and creative but not incredibly delicious, it wouldn't attract me. OTOH if they are as good as (or better than) the very best desserts in the entire city (including restaurants as well as pastry shops), I'm there in a heartbeat.

Having it as an ultra-trendy "club" with mediocre desserts, like the above description of the now-closed Sugar in Chicago would be a big turn-off for me. (And I suspect that people looking for the ultra-trendy are more interested in drinking alcohol than in eating desserts anyway.)

Good luck!

Having it as an ultra-trendy "club" with mediocre desserts, like the above description of the now-closed Sugar in Chicago would be a big turn-off for me.  (And I suspect that people looking for the ultra-trendy are more interested in drinking alcohol than in eating desserts anyway.)

I don't claim to understand the economics of the food service business, but I would think that, even moreso than a regular restaurant, a dessert bar would be heavily dependent on alcohol sales for profitability.

You may also want to pose this question over on the KC development forum, for an informed, market-specific, but non-foodie take:

http://forum.kcrag.com/

I don't claim to understand the economics of the food service business, but I would think that, even moreso than a regular restaurant, a dessert bar would be heavily dependent on alcohol sales for profitability.

I'm not an expert in restaurant economics either. But my impression is that the number of people who drink dessert wine and/or brandy/cognac is quite small. And this is especially noteworthy considering the overhead associated with serving any type of alcohol (license fees, inspections, additional regulations, etc).

FWIW, Hot Chocolate is a fairly recently-opened restaurant in Chicago, owned/run by Mindy Segal, a well-known local pastry chef. But Hot Chocolate offers savory dishes as well as the desserts for which they are best known, and they serve wine and beer - key differentiators from the concept being discussed here for KC, and ones which may broaden its appeal beyond the relatively narrow niche of desserts.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Avant Garde, come on down to Tulsa, Stephen Howard is doing desserts only at his place Kokoa Chocolatier He does do lunches now, very limited menu. But at night, they only serve desserts with coffees and wines for desserts. And they have gotten quite popular as the locals have become accustomed to this concept.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I'm not an expert in restaurant economics either.  But my impression is that the number of people who drink dessert wine and/or brandy/cognac is quite small.  And this is especially noteworthy considering the overhead associated with serving any type of alcohol (license fees, inspections, additional regulations, etc).

I guess my point, more broadly, is that (in answer to the very first question) I don't think a dessert bar would be successful in KC if it was relying solely or primarily on desserts to generate profit. It may work as a hook to draw people in, but even that would be tough.

It seems like most concepts like this either use desserts as their calling card but offer some savory items as well (like Hot Chocolate or Kyotofu); or close (like Sugar and Room 4 Dessert). Another alternative is to have a to-go/retail component, like The Chocolate Bar in Houston or ChiKalicious.

I can't actually think of any dessert bars in Chicago, even...the Peninsula has a weekend Chocolate Bar, Tru has a prix fixe dessert menu, there are bakery/cafes like Angel Food, and "chocolate lounges" (Ethel M), but a straight-up dessert bar?

I hope JWest's right about the food scene here (and the rest of the development scene), but I wouldn't bet on a dessert bar here right now.

I'm not an expert in restaurant economics either.  But my impression is that the number of people who drink dessert wine and/or brandy/cognac is quite small.  And this is especially noteworthy considering the overhead associated with serving any type of alcohol (license fees, inspections, additional regulations, etc).

I guess my point, more broadly, is that (in answer to the very first question) I don't think a dessert bar would be successful in KC if it was relying solely or primarily on desserts to generate profit. It may work as a hook to draw people in, but even that would be tough.

It seems like most concepts like this either use desserts as their calling card but offer some savory items as well (like Hot Chocolate or Kyotofu); or close (like Sugar and Room 4 Dessert). Another alternative is to have a to-go/retail component, like The Chocolate Bar in Houston or ChiKalicious.

I can't actually think of any dessert bars in Chicago, even...the Peninsula has a weekend Chocolate Bar, Tru has a prix fixe dessert menu, there are bakery/cafes like Angel Food, and "chocolate lounges" (Ethel M), but a straight-up dessert bar?

I hope JWest's right about the food scene here (and the rest of the development scene), but I wouldn't bet on a dessert bar here right now.

... and, even the most adventurous of cities have their limits: Room 4 Desserts is no longer. P*Ong, which has been getting a lot of press lately (Pichet Ong was formerly a pastry chef under Jean Georges), has garnered mix reviews. P*Ong, as Aaron points out, isn't exclusively a dessert bar - it offers a mix of savory and sweet - although sweet plays an over-riding role in all of his dishes - from meats down to confectionary and pastries.

Hot Chocolate in Chicago might be considered a dessert bar, but as Aaron points out - it does offer savory items.

Aaron - you left out the big bald guy - Max Brenner.

Here in KC, I think the closest thing you're going to get is Christopher Elbows - which on top of having seating for his chocolate shop, also serves quite an extensive list of hot chocolates (although, in this heat, I can't imagine....).

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

In response to avant-garde's inital post:

I've noticed that most successful "desserts bars" are the created by notable pastry chefs who have made a name for themselves (or had formidable training/work in high-profile restaurants): Mindy Segal (former pastry chef at blackbird); Sam Tailor (former pastry chef at WD~50); Chika Tillman (worked at Gramercy Tavern and Seeger's); Ritsuko Yamaguchi (worked at Daniel, Ringo, and Cru); and the above mentioned Pichet Ong (former pastry chef at RM, then consulting pastry chef at Jean Georges Vongerichten's 66 and Spice Market); Will Goldfarb (former pastry chef at Cru - but clearly, his idea had limits, as Room 4 Dessert has now closed);....

So, it seems that "dessert bars" succeed only if you've got name clout. The pastry chefs I've mentioned (and about to mention) had/have almost garnered cult-like following, where the dessert course at the very renowned restaurants could be said to be on par, if not having eclipsed the food for many. So, along this logic, I would bet that Gale Gand (TRU), Sherry Yard (Spago), and Johnny Iuzzini (Daniel, and now Jean Georges) would accrue a steady following on their own. I would also bet that Alex Stupack (alinea, now WD~50) would do quite well opening his own "dessert-only" bar.

This makes sense to me - as there are tons of restaurants that turn out great desserts - so why would you ever want to go to a place just to eat sweets? The local ice cream parlor/pastry shop/chocolatier satisfies most American's sweet tooths, if not the freezer aisle at the market.

Although many look forward to desserts at the end of a restaurant meal experience, not many are used to eating dessert all by itself, or making a "separate special effort" to get a sugar fix by itself beyond the familiar cone or slice of cake.

Kansas City doesn't (yet) have any rock star-status pastry chefs. The only one I can name by name is Megan Garrelts at bluestem; and she has considerable training under Gale Gand at TRU.

I'm not going to go so far as to say that without name clout, a dessert bar wouldn't work. But, I think to even pull out a sophisticated repertoire of sweets requires a lot of high-level training and finesse. A rock star status pastry chef would clinch the cachet. Given these elements, I think KC would be receptive to a dessert bar concept, but I don't see it happening anytime soon....

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

No, no, they're still rock star status - clearly I'm not! :blush:

Yes, I stand corrected - Segal was under M. Kornick and Sam Mason was at WD~50.

Yes, yes, move along, nothing to see here. :laugh:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

After reading the last few posts I think it would be best if the Dessert Bar covered a few areas. It seems like a dessert bar can easily go under because of its short list of areas that it covers. Can you survive off of just being open at night selling only desserts?

On top of just being a dessert bar what about a few other things to go along with it?

-Sell lots of alcohol.

-Possibly set it up as a great coffee and pastry shop for mornings?

-Do cakes for birthdays/anniversaries/weddings?

-Chocolates and Truffles?

-Candies and holiday gifts?

As far as having a "rock star" pastry chef...you can accomplish that by setting your dessert bar way ahead of everyone else. I don't know what your expertise falls in line with but whether it's you or someone that you are hiring as the pastry chef- they need to set the biggest standards that this city has ever seen. The desserts have to be quality but not necessarily cutting edge. Well, it doesn't have to be cutting edge as far as creativity is concerned (but that does help the rock star image) but it does have to be cutting edge as far as quality in the products you sell.

Also, don't forget about Elizabeth Faulkner at Citizen Cake who just also opened Citizen Cupcake. Although she does savory items as well, she has garnered a lot of press (i.e. Food Network)and has been nominated as the best pastry chef in the nation numerous times as well.

Andre's really shined in KC during the 90's but I don't know if they are still holding on strong. I think Avant Garde's Dessert Bar could be something that people will embrace in KC.

I'm peripherally in the financial industry now and my colleagues travel to Boston frequently. They practically fight over who "gets" to go to client sites, since Finale hung out its shingle. And I think they must be doing OK since they've opened 3 locations all in the metro area.

I agree with JWest in principle but I would say Crossroads/Downtown could support one in more like 2 years. New things of all stripe opening in Crossroads daily and the Kauffman Performing Arts and other things to come online make my timeline shorter than his.

Might want to lock-in a lease, though. I wouldn't wait two more years to find a location.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

After reading the last few posts I think it would be best if the Dessert Bar covered a few areas. It seems like a dessert bar can easily go under because of its short list of areas that it covers. Can you survive off of just being open at night selling only desserts?

On top of just being a dessert bar what about a few other things to go along with it?

-Sell lots of alcohol.

-Possibly set it up as a great coffee and pastry shop for mornings?

-Do cakes for birthdays/anniversaries/weddings?

-Chocolates and Truffles?

-Candies and holiday gifts?

As far as having a "rock star" pastry chef...you can accomplish that by setting your dessert bar way ahead of everyone else. I don't know what your expertise falls in line with but whether it's you or someone that you are hiring as the pastry chef- they need to set the biggest standards that this city has ever seen. The desserts have to be quality  but not necessarily cutting edge. Well, it doesn't have to be cutting edge as far as creativity is concerned (but that does help the rock star image) but it does have to be cutting edge as far as quality in the products you sell.

I agree. It's not that you have to have a "big name" pastry chef; I don't think people come to a place just because of the name. But what you need is the expertise to turn out desserts that are "to die for", and that expertise often means being a pastry chef in a highly-regarded restaurant. But I don't think the big name is essential; having wonderful desserts, OTOH, is.

Going back to the earlier part of this same thoughtful post, I agree that these other activities are other areas of opportunity for the same dessert bar. And these other activities are all daytime-oriented, rather than nighttime-oriented the way a "bar" connotes. Keep in mind, every major city has some pastry shops selling wonderful desserts, usually during the day, closed in the evening. Some of them even have some limited seating; others are full blown restaurants. Chicago's Lutz, which is currently remodeling, is a great example of what JWest is talking about, as they do everything JWest mentions except the "lots of alcohol" part. It's well known here (it's been there for years), both for people buying pastries to go during the day, and for people coming to the cafe to consume coffee and cake on the premises at any time of day or evening. I don't think they sell alcohol at all - I could be wrong about that - but their "bread and butter" business (sorry for the baking pun) is pastries, both to go and to eat there. Think "cafe", not "bar", and you've got their concept.

The Chocolate Bar at the Lobby restaurant at the Pen, and the dessert tasting menu at Tru, are different concepts, because those are full-service restaurants where most of their business is in full meals, and the desserts are really an adjunct. The one at the Pen is interesting to me because it's so over-the-top. It's an all-you-can-eat buffet of 30-40 different chocolate desserts, with smallish portion sizes so that you can try a lot of them. They start it at 8:30 pm on Friday and Saturday nights, so it's designed for late-night splurges, and they have a built-in market among their hotel guests. I suspect it also brings in additional dinner business for the Lobby on those evenings. Oh, and BTW, I think it's up to around $34 or so, which is an awful lot for people to spend on desserts.

If you don't concentrate on the alcohol aspect of the concept, then Lutz is a good example of a dessert bar in Chicago, a place that specializes in serving people who want to go out in the evening for coffee and cake.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Lutz is quite a different concept than what the original poster is talking about...an Old World bakery--with all that implies--around for about 50 years known mostly as a place for whip cream cakes. They have a full-service cafe and brunch. They close at about 9:00 on weekends (or earlier).

They do do a lot of things JWest describes, but the end result is quite different.

The point in bringing up Tru and the Peninsula is precisely as you say--that the first two things that come to mind when I think about special dessert affiars in Chicago are not dessert specialty places at all.

KC does not strike me as a "rock star chef" kind of town, not that one wouldn't do well, but I'm not sure how much benefit it would add, especially since there aren't too many "rock star" pastry chefs. I doubt Mindy Segal or Gale Gand would carry a place on name.

On the other hand, Lidia Bastianich's place here seems to do quite well with what I've found on a couple occasions to be merely decent food.

This concept is being explored in nearby Columbia, MO. The Upper Crust Bakery with their dessert bark Encore.  (This website doesn't have Encore info on it yet.)

This concept is a bit different than what I have in mind because I won't be doing catering and I won't have breads and similar items. It won't be a bakery of any sorts. It will be plated desserts only and quite a bit more upscale. Imagine a small fine dining restaurant that only serves dessert, wine, coffee, etc.

Just to clarify...

Encore is a stand alone business. Upper Crust closes at 3 pm and Encore opens at 7. I don't think the pastry chef works as part of the bakery. They're owned by the same guy and he decided not to pay rent on a separate building for this venture. So it just serves plated desserts, beer, wines, etc.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I'm peripherally in the financial industry now and my colleagues travel to Boston frequently. They practically fight over who "gets" to go to client sites, since Finale hung out its shingle. And I think they must be doing OK since they've opened 3 locations all in the metro area.

I had forgotten about Finale - that Harvard Business School-started concept that has made out successfully.

The point in bringing up Tru and the Peninsula is precisely as you say--that the first two things that come to mind when I think about special dessert affiars in Chicago are not dessert specialty places at all.
And that is true for most cities, which is why I think that a well-known pastry chef is (and has proven to be) nearly essential for a viable "dessert only" or a "dessert destination," if you will, establishment.
KC does not strike me as a "rock star chef" kind of town, not that one wouldn't do well, but I'm not sure how much benefit it would add, especially since there aren't too many "rock star" pastry chefs.
Hrmm, maybe not compared with "rock star" chefs, but as we have just generated a list of nearly a dozen in the U.S. already (and, that does not include those who have been/are pastry chefs who choose to pursue other non-dessert bar concepts like: Jacques Torres, Elisabeth Pruitt, Michael Laiskonis, Gina DePalma, Warren Brown...), I think there is a growing trend in recognizing the separate skill and craft, and quite frankly, worthiness of pastry chefdom. I admit these pastry chefs have limited following - and most are only known in their cities - but here, we are talking mostly about local name recognition; which definitely helps. I don't think that pastry chefs (or, very few) have reached national "rock star" status - perhaps Gale Gand, Jacques Torres, Sherry Yard, Sam Mason, and Alex Stupak being the exception.

The average J.Q. Public off the street may not be "in the know," necessarily. But, the average J.Q. Public isn't probably the type that will be a first-run customer, or even ever, of a dessert-only establishiment.

I doubt Mindy Segal or Gale Gand would carry a place on name.

I would disagree. I think Mindy Segal's Hot Chocolate got a LOT of buzz in its fledgling days from local press largely due to her recognition from mk. Gale Gand - I totally disagree. I think Gand could easily, if she wanted, make a success out of her own dessert-only establishment - on name alone.

I really would like to see a dessert-only establishment open up here. I don't think that Andres (pastry shop cum restaurant), Napoleon Bakery (pastry shop cum cafe) or even C. Elbow's (chocolaterie cum hot chocolate stand)count. I think it's sad that given to popular vote, Kansas City has consistently chosen McCormick's & Schmicks and Cheesecake Factory as their favorite dessert spots. There's nothing wrong with either of those two establishments - but I wish there was something local - something Kansas City, that we could be proud of.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

And, how could we forget Francois Payard.... but, he, like many others, has opened a pastry shop cum cafe (with savories).

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

KC does not strike me as a "rock star chef" kind of town, not that one wouldn't do well, but I'm not sure how much benefit it would add, especially since there aren't too many "rock star" pastry chefs.  I doubt Mindy Segal or Gale Gand would carry a place on name.

On the other hand, Lidia Bastianich's place here seems to do quite well with what I've found on a couple occasions to be merely decent food.

Aaron Deacon brings an interesting point. I don't think people in Kansas City (in general) know who the top dogs are in the restaurant business in KC. I don't even think a good number of people know who Lidia Bastianich is. But the importance of having being a "rock star chef" is that you generate a lot of national wide press and achievements. Which gets travelers and also the people that pick up a food and wine magazine and seeing a local chef being featured on the cover. Put this on top of all of your regular business of people who just want to eat and you're one step ahead of everyone else. Oh and to be a "rock star chef" .... you better back it up with outstanding food and service.

Also I wouldn't limit our short list of "rock star chefs" to just Lidia... Colby Garrelts, Megan Garrelts, Michael Smith, Debbie Gold, Christopher Elbow, and Celina Tio are nationally recognized on a steady basis.

Edited by JWest (log)