• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which restaurants would/do you avoid?

Jesikka

Overall, the quality of the food didn't match anything else in the restaurant, and I just think that really turned me off. I don't think I'll go back unless someone else is paying.

I read the last sentence of MB Shapiro's review of Del Posto and thought "yeah, but where wouldn't I go back if someone else were paying?" and then immediately a number of places came to mind.

I think it's an interesting thread topic. Which restaurants do or would you refuse to go to even if someone else were paying the bill?

For me this happens in two circumstances, optional corporate meals which are scheduled to be held at expensive but terrible restaurants and second or third date spots that cause me to either reevaluate my desire to go out with the individual or to suggest an alternative (call me shallow- but if my date can't pick a decent restaurant in NYC, we're prob not meant to be, especially since there are plenty of inexpensive places I'd be thrilled to be taken).

Would most of you take a free meal just about anywhere? Any notable free meals you've skipped for the reasons I gave or for other reasons?

I once accepted an invitation to accompany someone to her "law school prom" before she revealed that it was being held at Tavern on the Green. (She bought the tickets.) I tried to back out, but she begged, and pleaded, and threatened, and cried, and blackmailed, and...

...I went.

HUGE mistake.

Would most of you take a free meal just about anywhere?

Not because it's free. But I have eaten in a few truly abysmal places that I went to because I cared deeply for or respected greatly the person or people who wanted to go there. We have a local sports bar/casual restaurant chain in town with three locations. A friend of mine insisted that he wanted to go there for his birthday dinner. I was buying and hinted eight ways until Sunday that we could go anywhere he wanted regardless of the cost. This joint is so bad it makes Applebee's look like the French Laundry (I exaggerate but not by very much).

Speaking of which... Applebee's is a place I dread and have great difficulty finding anything on the menu that I care to eat. It's even worse than Red Lobster - which I endured for a Mother's Day dinner because my GF and her brother wanted to take their mom there.

Any notable free meals you've skipped for the reasons I gave or for other reasons?

Can't think of any. But I will note that.... although this doesn't refer to me in any way ..... plenty of men will tolerate a bad meal if the prospect of sex is part of the deal :rolleyes: I wonder if that's true of as many women? (far fewer I suspect).

Not because it's free. But I have eaten in a few truly abysmal places that I went to because I cared deeply for or respected greatly the person or people who wanted to go there.

Yeah, you make an excellent point, phaelon56. I bet that Dave H went to that law school prom MANY YEARS AGO for exactly that reason and not for the food (which I bet he didn't even eat).

Not because it's free. But I have eaten in a few truly abysmal places that I went to because I cared deeply for or respected greatly the person or people who wanted to go there.

Yeah, you make an excellent point, phaelon56. I bet that Dave H went to that law school prom MANY YEARS AGO for exactly that reason and not for the food (which I bet he didn't even eat).

No, I went because I was tricked.

Edit: I have been requested to clarify that we ate ahead of time and the only reason I even tried those horrible things was my own morbid curiosity.

Edited by Dave H (log)

I'm pretty sure I would decline Otto on a weekend night or Bar Americain ever. Also, I might not want to go to a free meal if I had to be in the company of someone I didn't like.

But I guess there aren't too many places atrocious enough that I would not accept a free meal. Most places that have been bad in the past or have bad reputations, I would still be curious to try out for free. At least most restaurants have their liquor licenses...

[Can't think of any.  But I will note that....  although this doesn't refer to me in any way .....  plenty of men will tolerate a bad meal if the prospect of sex is part of the deal  :rolleyes:   I wonder if that's true of as many women?  (far fewer I suspect).

its backwards. many women will tolerate bad sex in return for a free meal.

Edited by Nathan (log)

I'll say I'd avoid most of the places in the Times Square area, the Meatpacking District, as well as any place that's swamped with B&T'ers. Most chain restaurants, of course. Also, anytime I read the descriptive "cavernous" I immediately get turned off.

Sorry, but there are so many good spots that I don't see why I should be subjected to bad food, shoddy service, loud noise or annoying people. Even if I'm not the one paying.

And I might add that men sometimes put up with bad sex for dinner. :raz:

Boy, I'm a barrel of fun, no? :unsure:

nothing specific, but first thing i thought of were chain restaurants... ugh, those are pretty up there. lots of those popular catering places aren't great either; you know, places known for their expense and "ambiance" over other things (like tavern on the green, hehe). reminds me of the bad dinner they had at my high school prom at the waldorf-astoria. i don't know if they're known for bad food or what the catering situation was, but it seemed like someone simply said "pfft, high school students don't know anything about food. let's give them some lukewarm/overcooked/soggy stuff that resembles food." i think the guilt of having someone pay for me to not want to eat something would be the determining factor though.

i am usually involved in the decision process for going out to dinner, so it's usually not a problem, and i somehow haven't had a meal that bad. i don't think i'd let my boyfriend choose any more random asian restaurants though.. last time that happened, we went to some unknown noodle shop somewhere in downtown manhattan (don't remember where) against my better judgement, but neither of us were happy with it so it could have been worse (i could have been with someone who liked it...). i don't know, i don't think i've been in the situation where i've gone to eat with someone with really awful taste (my parents have to for business very often, unfortunately for them).

and just my POV, but i think that regardless of my sex or gender, i would not allow the concepts of "bad food" and "desire for sex" to become acquainted in my little life :raz: those two should never, ever, ever mix!

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I wouldn’t go back to places

1) that are so noisy you can’t talk

2) where I previously had more than one bad experience with service

3) where I previously left feeling like I got ripped off. Even if someone else is paying I don’t like contributing to this.

Personally, I avoid Carmine's and have for years. It has nothing to do with the food and everything to do with the wait and the attitude of the hosts while you wait. To me, it is not worth it, no matter who is paying. That being said, I've enjoyed the food when I've gone.

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

[Can't think of any.  But I will note that....  although this doesn't refer to me in any way .....  plenty of men will tolerate a bad meal if the prospect of sex is part of the deal  :rolleyes:   I wonder if that's true of as many women?  (far fewer I suspect).

its backwards. many women will tolerate bad sex in return for a free meal.

This is kinda from another thread...you know you are an egulleteer when you ponder which you dislike more, bad food or bad sex. And how good would the sex have to be to go to TGAppleChilis? And how good would the food have to be to replay freshman prom?

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE