• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger Soda ("Beer"/"Ale"/etc) and Other Foods

feedmec00kies

Never too late to talk about ginger beer, right?

I know I'm in the minority but I'm not a big fan of Reed's. Natural Brew ginger beer is my go-to for drinking straight or dark-and-stormies.

Never liked Vernors ginger ale either.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm not a big fan of Reed's.  Natural Brew ginger beer is my go-to for drinking straight or dark-and-stormies.

What about Natural Brew do you like, rather than Reeds or Vernor's, if I may ask?

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I'm a frugal omnivore and ginger in any form suits me fine.

I love getting a fistful o' fresh root for way under a buck. It's a miracle ingredient that does so well in sweet and savory dishes. The sodas are great and the crystallized candy fights seasickness when I take the ferry to Newfoundland.

I even floated the idea of naming my daughter Ginger -- I'm glad I didn't (Gilligan's Island, neighbor's dog, adult entertainers, etc.)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I know I'm in the minority but I'm not a big fan of Reed's.  Natural Brew ginger beer is my go-to for drinking straight or dark-and-stormies.

What about Natural Brew do you like, rather than Reeds or Vernor's, if I may ask?

Well, I'm not a great taste-analyst but I guess I like that it tastes like ginger. Reeds has a citrus flavor that isn't quite right IMO. I'll add my own fresh lime, thank-you. And Vernors has some sort of weird unidentifiable taste to me - but it ain't ginger. I prefer Canada Dry to it. I think Natural Brew has the right amount of ginger flavor, bite, and sweetness.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Stewart's Ginger Beer is my favorite. It's the only one with enough ginger flavor to make my favorite rum drink - the Rastamon:

1 shot Myer's rum

1 shot pineapple juice

1/2 lime

Squeeze lime, mix with rum & juice. Add some ice and fill glass to the top with Stewart's ginger beer. Top with freshly grated nutmeg.

This does NOT work with a less-than-gingery ginger beer. I tried making it with Sprecher Ginger Beer once and it was horrible.