• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teaneck for Dummies

Ms. P-Pie

Howdy, eGulletarians. First time poster here, so please forgive me if I make some glaring message board faux pas. And feel free to set me straight.

I live in Manhattan, but will be spending the week of the 13th in Teaneck, NJ. I'm wildly unfamiliar with New Jersey, but will have access to a car, a reluctant white-knuckle driver, and Mapquest.

I like to eat.

I've bookmarked the threads here which mention Teaneck, and friends have recommended Bistro EN, Bischoff's Ice Cream, Patisserie St. Michele, Taipei Noodle, Louie's Charcoal Pit, McCormick and Schmick, Maggiano's, P.F. Chang Bistro, Kratiem, Baumgart's Cafe, and Bennie's Lebanese. I'm not a chain enthusiast, but coming from NYC, I'll be excited to have access to a Cheesecake Factory (never been) and Chick-Fil-A (my cruel, elusive mistress).

What I'm looking for are recommendations for anything special in the area, but particularly low-brow indigenous fare. Good diners, good doughnuts, and where I might have an authentic Taylor Ham experience. It'll be my first. And telling me I won't like it won't make me want it any less.

I'm going for total North Jersey immersion. Any suggestions?

"Mom? Can you go make me a toaster pastry chocolate mix butter bar?" ~ Sir Eric Cartman

There is a really good Italian restaurant across from the hospital parking lot on Main St. and really good bagels/lox etc also on Main St. next to the movie theatre. There are a few bagel shops but the movie one is the best.

That McCormicks by the mall is pretty good too.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Stop by any crowded deli first thing in the morning for your taylor ham, egg and cheese sandwich. Ask for ketchup, salt and pepper. Since you have a car, really, you should make the trip to Rutt's Hut or another dog joint.

here is my take. bishoff's, absolutely. baumgard's, always disappointing, i never understood it popularity. taipei noodle house, why bother, it's not bad but not worth a visit. louie's, you must be kidding. unless you are running for governor there is no reason. there are many places in hackensack, 5 minutes away. brooklyn pizza is very good. pollos mario is interesting colombian, if you like rice beans and meat. also very good roast chicken. don't worry that you are the only one speaking english, they are very nice. wondee has very good thai food. haven't been to bistro en yet, but its on the list. and if you're in this part of town, you have to have korean. my choice is soft tofu on main st in ft. lee. about 10-15 minutes away. if you enjoy the chains, they are 5 minutes away. i had to try cheesecake factory also. better than bennigans. there is also a turkish place in river edge, 10 minutes, babylon. it moved about 6 months ago and i haven't been but the old location was good. sadly, the best thing, foodwise, about teaneck is bishoff's ice cream. almost forgot. try the heavy crumb cake at b&w bakery in hackensack. mmmmmmm.

here is my take.  bishoff's, absolutely.  baumgard's,  always disappointing, i never understood it popularity.  taipei noodle house, why bother, it's not bad but not worth a visit.  louie's, you must be kidding.  unless you are running for governor there is no reason.  there are many places in hackensack, 5 minutes away.  brooklyn pizza is very good.  pollos mario is interesting colombian, if you like rice beans and meat.  also very good roast chicken.  don't worry that you are the only one speaking english, they are very nice.  wondee has very good thai food.  haven't been to bistro en yet, but its on the list.  and if you're in this part of town, you have to have korean.  my choice is soft tofu on main st in ft. lee.  about 10-15 minutes away.  if you enjoy the chains, they are 5 minutes away.  i had to try cheesecake factory also.  better than bennigans.  there is also a turkish place in river edge, 10 minutes, babylon.  it moved about 6 months ago  and i haven't been but the old location was good.  sadly, the best thing, foodwise, about teaneck is bishoff's ice cream. almost forgot.  try the heavy crumb cake at b&w bakery in hackensack.  mmmmmmm.

The crumb cake at B and W is worth an entire thread!

I hope it's not too late and that you see this message. My favorite restaurant in all the world and the one I've gone to more times than any restaurant (they opened in 1977 and I've been going ever since), Park & Orchard.

Park and Orchard

East Rutherford

201 939 9292

Turnpike, Exit 16W to Rt. 3W to 17N.

2nd light, Union Avenue West, 1 block to stop.

R at stop; 3rd building on R.

www.parkandorchard.com

One of a kind.

Mom 'n pop

always crowded despite no reservations & 50 tables

fabulous food