• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

East Hampton restaurants

Simon_S

Hi folks,

I've just arranged a last minute trip to a friend's house in East Hampton, going this Saturday. This will be our first time there, so we've no idea what to expect. I have heard it said in the past that the Hamptons can be something of a culinary wasteland, but maybe somebody here knows different!

Any recommendations?

Si

there's some tolerable food...but no better.

I'm afraid it won't be anything like your NY trip in terms of food.

frankly, the best eating out there will be done off your friend's grill...

Edited by Nathan (log)

there's some tolerable food...but no better.

I'm afraid it won't be anything like your NY trip in terms of food.

frankly, the best eating out there will be done off your friend's grill...

Well, just as long as we know! We'll have the house to ourselves, and may indeed do quite a bit of cooking. We'll also have a car (rented) so we can move around a bit. Is there anything worthwhile within driving distance?

We're going to take 2 nights at the end in NYC itself, although this time we may not bother booking anything in advance (short of a Per Se reservation -- if anyone has one they're not using, feel free to donate!!) Last time, we craved a bit more freedom, and I think I'm too late to get any interesting tables anyway. I may reopen the other thread to see if there are any new and hot restaurants I should know about, though.

Thanks for the advice!

well...I don't drive out there but my understanding is that there is some excellent produce available. hopefully others will respond on that.

as for your two nights in the city...I'll leave that for a separate thread but I'll note that a. this is the time when everyone's gone so reservations are generally pretty easy to come by...and b. this is the best (IMO) no-reservation food city on the planet due to the plethora of top-notch restaurants which encourage dining at the bar.

i don't know where in east hampton you're going to be and how close it'll be to where i'm suggesting, but if you have the chance and you like beer and it's not too far you should try going to southampton publick house.. it's a brewpub and they make some great beers. food's not supposed to be too bad either, but that's by word of mouth. my boyfriend and i are planning to go probably in the fall, when they release this year's eisbock or something.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I started a Hampton's thread a couple years ago. It's here somewhere, you can find it pretty easily I think. There's not a ton there, but it may be helpful.

There is some good produce around. One farmer's stand I like out by Amagansett offers a free herb garden, a nice touch for those only staying a few days and don't want to buy bunches of overpriced stuff from Citarella.

I spend a fair bit of time in East Hampton and have not posted in a while so here goes:

- In terms of farmers markets they are a dime a dozen out there, most are very similiar. That is not so say their stuff is not good. In mid august the corn and tomatos should be going off. Don't miss them. However, the hands down best Farmers Market is on Saturday mornings in Sag Harbor at the marina. There is a growing number of organic farmers and artisnal food makers (foodie stuff) out east. Most bring their stuff to Sag on Saturday mornings. Sag is about a 10 minute drive from EH town and is beautiful.

- In EH town pickings are slim. Rowdy Hall Has a good burger and decent beer selection. I hesitate to recommend Nick and Toni's because it is the epicenter of the hamptons see and be seen scene but they do a good job with local ingredients. Go when they are not busy (which is probably impossible for you) and the food gets exponentially better.

- La Fondita (amagansett) makes good taco's - good for a quick lunch

- Clam Bar on montauk highway out towards Montauk is a favorite of mine and is often overlooked. It's tricky here, DO NOT order off of the menu. Only get their specials which are usually always the same. This means Grilled tuna or swordfish sandwich (ask which is more fresh, I love the Tuna), Steamed lobsters, all their soups are very good especially NE clam chowder, they also have local corn. They have the best clams out east, bar none. They have a guy that rakes them every day in Napeague harbor (about a 1/4 mile away). If you like clams this is a must. Avoid the lobster roll and fried anything. Also avoid the much recommedend place across the street "Lunch" it looks great but it sucks trust me.

- Cyril's just down the road from Clam Bar is great in the late afternoon or after the beach for beers and frozen drinks. DO NOT eat here. Cyril is a true Hamptons character in a Keith Richards sorta way.

- A good fish market is next to the IGA supermarket in amagansett. Citeralla is fine if you have to go, but its kinda weak....

- the best place IMO out east is the North Fork Table and Inn. This would be a hike for you. They have an extensive NYC lineage (Claudia cant remmeber her last name, the former pastry chef at Gramercy Tavern and her Husband) and mostly use local ingredients. The two times I went last year this place blew me away. =This is a true destination spot. It would require a long drive and two ferrys for you to get there so maybe next time.

Edited by Cpalms (log)

I spend a fair bit of time in East Hampton and have not posted in a while so here goes:

-  In terms of farmers markets they are a dime a dozen out there, most are very similiar.  That is not so say their stuff is not good. 

Round Swamp on Three Mile Harbor Road in East Hampton has great stuff including wonderful baked goods and a wide selection of produce. They also sell prepared foods, fresh fish, steaks, etc. They are very expensive, but I prefer it to any of the other options in East Hampton.

Sam's in East Hampton on Newtown Lane is a good option for traditional red sauce italian and really nice thin crust pizzas. I prefer to order them for pickup as dealing with the traffic and scene in the Village is a pain.

- La Fondita (amagansett) makes good taco's - good for a quick lunch

Agreed.

- the best place IMO out east is the North Fork Table and Inn.  This would be a hike for you.  They have an extensive NYC lineage (Claudia cant remmeber her last name, the former pastry chef at Gramercy Tavern and her Husband) and mostly use local ingredients.  The two times I went last year this place blew me away.  =This is a true destination spot.  It would require a long drive and two ferrys for you to get there so maybe next time.

Claudia Fleming

We are out there alot and generally avoid dealing with the scene, traffic or crowds and just cook at home, but if by chance you want some trad, wood smoked barbecue while you're out there, drop me a note to let me know.....I won't bash anyone, but I would skip the restaurant 'que options available in or near the Hamptons....

Edited by backyardchef (log)

FOR GODS sake avoid "Lunch" ...I have hated this place since I bought my first celery roll a few years ago..although they call it a lobster roll. Della Famina is tops...I forgot the name of the place..but right across the street from Dela Famina is a great restaurant.

Best advice....buy some great local produce...local seafood and invest in a few bottles of quality wine.....enjoy

FOR GODS sake avoid "Lunch" ...I have hated this place since I bought my first celery roll a few years ago..although they call it a lobster roll. Della Famina is tops...I forgot the name of the place..but right across the street from Dela Famina is a great restaurant.

Best advice....buy some great local produce...local seafood and invest in a few bottles of quality wine.....enjoy

Across from Della Femina was Taste of Italy, which is now something else. Further up that street was Mary Jane's which is now becoming a bank. And then, further up is Nick and Toni's.

I'm sure there's fine food to be had at Nick and Toni and Della Femina, but they are both too star-studded and sceney for our tastes.

I just spent the better part of a week in East Hampton without eating out once. The seafood and produce is so good that it is more fun just to eat in, especially if there is a great kitchen as there was at the place that we stayed. This is the perfect time of year to do that.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz