• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reductive Reasoning by Jamie Goode

Don Giovanni

Reductive Reasoning

Reductive Reasoning

Getting to the bottom of 'reduction' problems in screwcap wines

By Jamie Goode

From Wines & Vines, 08/01/2007

Click On Me

This is a great read...take your time and think about it real hard...Jamie does a great job explaining the problem...enjoy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link, quite informative. Personnaly I am not wedded to cork. But with the production of wines that have less aging potential than in the past, I am not so sure that the closure will matter anymore. Aging a red wine for 30 years just will not happen anymore and wines of the past will never again become available. Since better production can now flatten out the variation between years better, it had reduced the possibility for wine such as the great vintage years in Europe. No more 1959, 1961 and the like Bordeaux.

So as long as the closure can last until the consumer drinks the wine without any perceived effect, who cares what type of closure? -Dick