• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A-B Tech Hot Food Team

chefdg

The southeast region should be very proud to know that A-B Tech (Ashevile, NC) took first place with the only gold medal awarded in the National ACF Student Hot Food Team Competition in Orlando, Fl over the July 21-23 weekend. The students had to prepare from scratch a four course menu, platted for 24 people in under 4 hours. I am very proud of the students accomplishments and hope the program can continue to be at the top of the culinary food chain. DG

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

• 3 months later...

I think it should also be stated that AB Tech is a sham. Every other team writes and implements their own menus, that means they are student designed/driven. There the instructors do all of the work for them(planning/organization), thats the only reason they have ever won anything, PERIOD.

There are a good number of really hardworking culinary students in this state who deserve more. Putting a team together on top of a full load and a job?? They are more committed than student athletes.

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine

I think it should also be stated that AB Tech is a sham. Every other team writes and implements their own menus, that means they are student designed/driven. There the instructors do all of the work for them(planning/organization), thats the only reason they have ever won anything, PERIOD.

There are a good number of really hardworking culinary students in this state who deserve more. Putting a team together on top of a full load and a job?? They are more committed than student athletes.

thats a pretty nasty allegation, any real facts to back that up, or just speculation?

thats a pretty nasty allegation, any real facts to back that up, or just speculation?

first hand account is that enough evidence?

The complexity of flavor is a token of durable appreciation. Each Time you taste it, each time it's a different story, but each time it's not so different." Paul Verlaine

first hand account is that enough evidence?

no not really are you saying that the students enrolled in AB TECH didnt execute the dishes and had help, or simply you believe that the involvement of the staff was too much , in the end all food comes down to execution, michel bras has some very famous dishes when executed by lesser technicians are simply less than they should be, also i am familiar with the area in asheville and much of the students there are working jobs to pay bills and going to school, this first hand knowledge , were you involved with another team , are you crying foul over rules violations or are simply crying

True. Execution is the most important thing.

I have worked with hundreds of culinary students from all over the country, all skill levels. They have NO IDEA what they are putting on the plate, they just do what they are told.

The execution is not in question here.

The rules and structure for student ACF sanctioned competitions is a JOKE. Any accolades they get should go straight to the instructors. You have instructors competing vs. students. LOL. Every other team in this state(I know this as fact) writes', plans, and executes their own menu. period. The fact that they are passing off that crap as being their own work is the SHAM.

Microgreens? Are you kiddding me? WTF does a 19 yr old pot-smoking hippie student living in Asheville know about a microgreen and a Trotter-esque microportion? Nothing.

They execute very beautiful tasty dishes to a "T". Ones' they do not even understand.

The proof is in the pudding pal. All of their knife work looks like it was done by a Robot Coupe.

WHAAAAAAAAA

I am done crying now

Edited by ChefSwartz (log)

I have worked with hundreds of culinary students from all over the country, all skill levels. They have NO IDEA what they are putting on the plate, they just do what they are told.

The rules and structure for student ACF sanctioned competitions is a JOKE. Any accolades they get should go straight to the instructors. You have instructors competing vs. students. LOL. Every other team in this state(I know this as fact) writes', plans, and executes their own menu. period. The fact that they are passing off that crap as being their own work is the SHAM.

Microgreens? Are you kiddding me? WTF does a 19 yr old pot-smoking hippie student living in Asheville know about a microgreen and a Trotter-esque microportion? Nothing.

They execute very beautiful tasty dishes to a "T". Ones' they do not even understand.

The proof is in the pudding pal. All of their knife work looks like it was done by a Robot Coupe.

WHAAAAAAAAA

I am done crying now

well calling all the kids there pot smoking hippies with no sense of haute cuisine, doesnt seem hardly fair and seems abit judgemental, perhaps you are affiliated with another team, perhaps you should be more involved with your team , rather than bash someone else, as to your statement that the food is tasty , well that is definitely the proof in the pudding, as far as working with students all over the country , my experience with any student has been, that some individuals have great attitudes and some dont , the ones that do , seem to perform better no matter what school they are from, it seems a little unfair to try to take credit from these kids, when by your own ommission the food is executed and tasty

These competitions are very important to the students. Hubby was teaching printing and graphic arts (and was chairman for VICA) at Albany Tech in Albany, GA when that culinary department broke out bad one year in competition. It reminds me of football rivalry - and we know how that goes in the South! :biggrin: Blaming the coaches for winning or losing is a sacred pastime.

If I understand correctly, these culinary programs are geared toward Institutional Cooking (and no - that is not a bad thing at all, site the recent Daily Gullet article "Cooked" part one here) where Jeffrey Henderson traces his transition from learning to cook in a prison kitchen to his eventual success in fine dining) more than on fine dining. Although event catering got its fair share of attention in the curriculum.

Many of these students are adults that need a fresh start, kids who do not perform scholastically for one reason or another, or are those who cannot afford the Big Box Culinary Schools. I think it is a fine way to offer an opportunity to learn the skills needed to operate in a kitchen, cater a large group, and appreciate the financial workings of purchasing/pricing.

He/she probably learns very quickly that they make good munchies the first time they give them a whirl in the classroom! :biggrin:

Seriously, though, teaching that 19 year old pot smoking hippie (clearing my throat self consciously, as many of a certain age might) about microgreens and Trotter-esque microportions would be very progressive of an instructor in Asheville. Where else would these Asheville students get that exposure? The basic premise of Adult Education in the Tech School's is that adults learn by doing. I'm not sure that Asheville has cornered the market on this sort of individual, either. I am sure that CIA has their fair share of this personality type.

WHAAAAAAAAA

I am done crying now

First off, execution is not just "the most important thing". It is far-freaking away the most important thing. Not even a contest. Throughout my entire career, I've been exposed to more "innovative" 20 year olds who want to start writing menus on their first day than I'd like to remember. Give me someone who understands how to sear a piece of fish over that any day.

Cooking schools should be turning out kids with line skills. Let them figure out the rest over time.

As for your microgreens comment. Are you kidding me? I've seen those things at Harris Teeter! If you're going to point to something that is obviously over the head of a 19 year old kid, you're going to have to try harder than that.