• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brandied Fruits and Berries

onehsancare

It's a cold winter night and we're all huddled around the fire, so the time seemed right to break into the rumtopf. I had very low expectations for this, actually. I don't have a basement so used the coolest spot in my house, the far corner of the spare bedroom. Out of sight, out of mind--I was up to my ears in other food preservation projects and after the first few fruits, I forgot all about it and never added any more. I was supposed to have been adding all kinds of fruits as they came into season throughout the summer and fall.

Well, I needn't have worried. Even with just the four or five fruits I did use, it's incredibly complex and delicious. The fruits have weirdly "dehydrated" in the rum and are quite dense and chewy, which is not what I was expecting, but it's quite pleasant, and the liquor is fantastic. Can't wait to do it up properly next year.

Sounds perfect for winter. Did you serve it alone or with something like cake or ice cream?

My efforts to correct my fizzy version were not successful, so I strained out the fruit and saved the liquid, it's sitting in the fridge now. It's also delicious. I'm thinking I might use it to poach some pears--a cheater's rumptof? Next summer I'll do better.

No, we just had it in little clear glasses with about 1/2 fruit and 1/2 liquid. Ice cream is up next! We've also been eating the brandied cherries I talked about upthread and those are by far the best ones I've ever made. I'm definitely sticking with that method.

Sorry about your fizzy version. Next year we'll both do better!