• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HELP! Fresh milk for Ricotta...

BradenP

I really wanted to make some ricotta tomorrow but I need a place to buy fresh milk. C&Z you told where you get yours, but I forgot to write it down. I'm not sure if your checking the gullet while on vacation. If anyone has a place I can get fresh milk, I'm willing to travel (in the 75 that is).

"When planning big social gatherings at our home, I wait until the last minute to tell my wife. I figure she is going to worry either way, so I let her worry for two days rather than two weeks."
-EW

I really wanted to make some ricotta tomorrow but I need a place to buy fresh milk. C&Z you told where you get yours, but I forgot to write it down. I'm not sure if your checking the gullet while on vacation. If anyone has a place I can get fresh milk, I'm willing to travel (in the 75 that is).

I have bought fresh milk at the marché biologique on Raspail, but would think you could also buy it at a good cheese shop.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Don't live in 75, but down here in the wilds I can get fresh milk in any of the big supermarkets (Leclerc, Intermarche, HyperU). Can also get raw milk in them usually, but not always.

Can't believe there would be a problem in gay Parie? Am I missing something?

Fresh milk being available just about everywhere, I suppose you mean "raw milk".

Do try the magasins bio/health food stores. There should be a Naturalia somewhere near your place (in fact there is one rue Montorgueil); also try Les Rendez-vous de la Nature, rue Mouffetard (angle rue de l'Epée-de-Bois) in the 5e, or Les Nouveaux Robinsons in Montreuil.

If raw milk is not a must, there is good microfiltered whole milk at :wink: Monoprix...

There is a very nice, new bio supermarché called Biocoop Lemo at 33 blvd Voltaire right outside the Obkerampf metro. It's not as big as Whole Foods, but it's not bad.

Braden

I called Biocoop Lemo to see if they had lait cru and was told that they normally receive it every Tuesday but for some reason they didn't this morning.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in my local bio supermarket and noticed they had both lait frais and lait cru and the lait frais was marked as being pasteurized in a bain marie but not homegonized.

We have used some raw milk from Biocoop Lemo in the past. The other times we found raw milk was at the markets, Raspail or Batignol. The ricotta that we have made has all been done using this raw (cow's) milk. I can include a recipe if anyone wants to make some at home. My next step is to work with a raw sheep's milk. I have a feeling this will be a little harder to come by.

"When planning big social gatherings at our home, I wait until the last minute to tell my wife. I figure she is going to worry either way, so I let her worry for two days rather than two weeks."
-EW

• 2 weeks later...

For no other reason than the fact that I was highly caffeinated and really bored, I posted a photo guide to making ricotta with the directions included.

It can be found here: Making Ricotta

-EW