• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocoa Butter

ChocoGrok

Help! I'm trying to locate a source for cocoa butter. I've checked the local Trader Joes and Whole Foods, and they do not carry it. Is cocoa butter an item that needs to be ordered from a speciality store? Thanks!

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful"

- e e cummings

Help!  I'm trying to locate a source for cocoa butter.  I've checked the local Trader Joes and Whole Foods, and they do not carry it.  Is cocoa butter an item that needs to be ordered from a speciality store?  Thanks!

Cocoa butter is often a bit hard to track down. It also isn't cheap. This is the reason why so many chocolate manufacturers add soy lecithin -- it allows you to make chocolate without having to add as much (if any) additional cocoa butter.

Here are a couple of resources:

Chef Shop has it in granules which are very handy to work with:

http://chefshop.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=4654&eq=4654baking&Tp=

Albert Uster Imports ( http://www.auiswiss.com/ ) has cocoa butter as well. It is a bit hard to find in their store but in the end, it costs $46 for 5.5 lbs which works out to about $8.00/lb.

Hope this helps,

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

a regular health food store will carry it in pint jars

right next to the coconut oil

and palm oil ....most old fashioned Health food markets and coops have it

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

• 4 months later...

I thought I read somewhere that cocoa butter had an "indefinite" shelf life if stored properly. Recently, however, I was adding some cocoa butter to some chocolate I was tempering and the cocoa butter seemed to have a slightly "off" smell to me. Anyone know how long cocoa butter will keep?

The shelf-life is not unlimited. And really, it just depends on how well it was stored away from light and moisture and heat.

I'd say, at least a year under normal conditions but probably not much longer.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 10 months later...
Not really a where question, but more of a how question...

How much cocoa butter do you use when trying to cut back chocolate.  I want to use some white chocolate for enrobing certain truffles, but it is way too thick to be workable.

Start by adding about 5% by weight, then adjusting as necessary.

If you have a Michael's, they stock it in the Wilton aisle. Perhaps they carry it in Hobby Lobby or other such stores too.

It's a LorAnn product.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 6 years later...

What's the difference between liquid cocoa butter (at room temp),  blocks, and mycryo in terms of use/application?

I understand that mycryo is deodourised but that's pretty much it.

Mycryo is very high in beta crystals, when it's in the powder form. Generally, it's used like a 'seed' when tempering whereas liquid cocoa butter may or may not be in temper and a block of cocoa butter is in temper but might fall out of temper when melted depending on how it's handled.

If you are trying to spray chocolate, mycryo is a good choice for making it a little thinner because it also pretty much guarantees a good snappy result. It's expensive to use alone or in large volume, though.