• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYT Cornstarch Ice Cream Recipe

jende

Over the weekend I made the cornstarch ice cream recipe out of the New York Times food section. I've been hooked on ice cream-making since I bought The Perfect Scoop, and I was intrigued by possibly finding a recipe that wasn't quite so fattening as those I've been making.

Unfortunately, the resulting product pretty much sucked. I made the mint chocolate chip version with fresh mint and good quality chocolate, but the texture of the ice cream was bad. All of the lovely mouth-feel associated with good ice cream was missing and it had an off flavor that I can only associate with the cornstarch.

I can't really say that I was surprised -- in fact, it tasted exactly like I feared it would -- but I had hoped that I would be proven wrong. Oh well, back to the good stuff. :raz:

hmm, didn't see that--too bad it didn't work--but don't all those promises of low fat delight ultimately disappoint?

As I think Julia said--"there's nothing like butter" (or cream)

I actually made frozen yogurt recently that I thought was quite delicious--I had an elderly mango in the fridge, and a handful of wineberries, and some mango nectar and some homemade yogurt--I used a recipe in the little booklet that came with the cuisinart for quantities--I added a little less sugar than called for.

I was pretty pleased with it--it didn't have the voluptuous mouth feel that you get with ice cream--and it got hard as a rock, so i nuked it slightly every time I scooped some out.

But it melted pleasingly on the tongue--and had a true burst of flavor--which I think you sacrifice in ice cream--the "cream" overpowers the fruit or whatever you flavor with.

Served with some Anna's Ginger Thins it was truly delish.

But I'm curious to check that recipe out anyway.

Zoe

Savour magazine did an article a few years ago on "authentic gelato" which according to them is made with cornstarch, milk, no cream i think.

I thought it froze wayyyyy too hard and in general just wasn't very interesting.

Once again, for me, inless using a paco jet or something, you have to take measures to compensatae for all of the water of otherwise eat it right out of the machine, maybe set it up for 30 minutes?

My two cents.

2317/5000

Having not seen the recipe, I have to ask: What was the point of the cornstarch?  And what was the quantity?

It thickens the custard in place of the usual yolks.

I've only made one such recipe, and I concur with tan319 that it sets up too hard if you're using tools for the home kitchen. But I also think that it might be good to use when you want a purer flavor.

According to the Medrich book I got the recipe from, it's the traditional way to make Sicilian gelato.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Here's the recipe link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/dining/0...r=1&oref=slogin

I don't think it was necessarily billed as a low-fat attempt at ice cream, it was more about a way to supposedly achieve a custard-like ice cream without actually making custard. I've had really great results with frozen yogurt out of The Perfect Scoop, so I think I'll stick to that when I want something lighter.

This reminds me a bit of a recipe from an old issue of Fine Cooking. The ice creams were definitely custard based, but the secret ingredient -- non fat dried milk powder -- was used to help absorb the extra water content from the ice cream and make the end product much creamier. It did, in fact, work well in that it yielded an ice cream with a nice mouth feel and no iciness. Even after some time in the freezer. In other words, it was a darned good homemade ice cream that you did not have to eat right from the machine.

eGullet thread on Trimoline/ other dry matter extracts for Ice cream\

The dried milk powders, be it non fat or whole ( like some of the Latin American products such as (Kinder") are a step in the "right" direction for that ice cream texture we all know and love.

Dry matter such as dry milks, powdered ( atomized) glucose, trimoline, dextrose are all used to reduce freezing points, improve flavor, texture, absorb more water, therefore reducing iciness, hardness after storage, etc.

You don't have to use all of these items but certainly one or two will help you achieve a result that will have you really "chuffed"! :biggrin:

As I've stated in other threads on these kind of subjects, you can find trimoline in a bake shop or "specialty shop that caters to Wedding Cake and other types of cake designers.

It will sometimes be called "Numoline" or something else.

Ask for invert sugar, they'll help you.

As for atomized glucose, dextrose, ice cream stabilizer, trimoline, you can get all of these items at ...

L'Epicerie

As a rule of thumb

Glucose should be 25 and 30% of the weight of the sugar (replaced)

Dextrose would be between 6 & 25%

Inverted sugar would be a MAXIMUM of 33% of the weight.

Satabilizers should be 3 to 5 grams per 2 pounds of mix or a healthy pinch.

As said before, this should help you attain the ice cream of your dreams , otherwise just eat it as soon as spun or shortly thereafter.

This is what used to be the norm ( may still be) in France and many other places in starred restaurants.

A long time ago I made the Pierre Herme chocolate ice cream (out of chocolate desserts by..) which used non fat dry milk and it still froze hard as a rock :sad:

good luck

PS: If you have a blender maybe try pulverizing the cornstarch in the cold (milk?) before heating and then really cooking it out.

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000