• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Large Indoor Upscale Farmer's Markets

The other night, I was watching a special on PBS about farmers' markets across the country. (It was called To Market, to Market, to Buy a Fat Pig. The markets featured in the show were BIIIG. No little bitty markets like Ridgewood featured in this program.

Several of the markets featured in the program were huge indoor farmers' markets. These places were huge, with dozens of vendors in a variety of categories: seafood, meats, baked goods, and of course, fruits and vegetables. The foods presented looked like they were of high quality. One market featured was in Baltimore, another one was in Lancaster, PA. While I was watching the special, I thought to myself, "Man, it would be great if we had places like that here!"

So, do we have any places like those here in NJ, especially Northern NJ? The only place I could think of that even remotely resembles these markets is Corrado's in Clifton, and although I like Corrado's, it's about as far from"upscale" as you can get. I'm wondering if we have any similar places that are a bit fancier (for lack of a better term), but of course, I don't want to go bankrupt either.

So, any thoughts? I really don't feel like driving 5 hours to Lancaster! (Although I'm tempted!)

Not in NJ, but across the river in downtown Philadelphia is a very fine market. I don't recall the exact location, but it should be easy enough to find. It's just 2 hours away instead of 5.

Jack McDavid has a wonderful diner-like restaurant right in the market. It's a great place for a fabulous hearty breakfast. He's the guy who was in Chillin' and Grillin' with Bobby Flay.

Then there's the Union Square Market in NYC. That's probably just 45 minutes away.

We just don't have enough concentration of people in a small area as they do in NYC or even Philadelphia to merit such a market.

I used to go to Seattle on business 5-6 times a year. I always made sure it was my last stop on the West Coast and booked a late morning flight to come home. I would hit Pike's Market at 8:30 a.m. and load up on Seafood and beautiful in-season produce. There is nothing like a great market. I wish we had one, too.

Marie

NJDuchess

Trenton is a hell of a lot closer to you than Lancster. Give this a click http://www.thetrentonfarmersmarket.com/ - You'll be glad you went.

I saw the same show, and wound up at the Trenton Market the next day <g>, so I guess that means I second that suggestion. (My other choice in Central NJ was the PA. Dutch market in Kingston).

OTOH, I have to say that it's not by any means "upscale" BUT neither were most of the markets covered in the programs (I've been to several of them) and, IMO, a true farmers market should have an "earthy", temporary feel, more "Englishtown Auction" than "Delicious Orchards".

If you want to go even farther south--there's theColumbus Farmer's market--it's a combo of inside/outside, farm market/flea market--what a lot of long running markets had become before the new trendiness of farmer's markets happened.

I, personally, treasure these markets--I'm a big fan of tacky and odd--along with old farmers who are doing what their parents did--for the love of it--and out of pure stubborness--and hope that they manage to survive.

Not in NJ, but across the river in downtown Philadelphia is a very fine market.  I don't recall the exact location, but it should be easy enough to find.  It's just 2 hours away instead of 5. 

I'm guessing you're talking about the Reading Terminal Market? If so, it's DEFINITELY worth a 90-min ride to Philadelphia from northern NJ! Huge thread on the RTM is here on the PA board. There is a section at the RTM that's all Amish, so you can get your Lancaster 'hit' at the same time you get a pork and broccoli rabe sub at DiNic's!!! :wub:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

There are various enterprises such as the Rt. 17 Farmer's Market in East Rutherford , which do not feature individual vendors, rarely have locally grown stuff, but generally deliver good produce at great prices. They also have bakery goods, oils & vinegars & nuts, but no meats / seafood.

I've been to the RTM in Philly a # of times, & the Rt. 17 FM isn't comparable, but it is indoors & in North Jersey.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

I think those beautiful urban structures where markets were held in earlier days haven't survived in NJ cities, unfortunately.

But here's another site to check out for Farmer's Markets

NJ Farmers Markets

I'm at the Dvoor Market in Flemington on Sundays, and it's a nice market--small but good stuff--lots of produce, some organic, plants, flowers, cheese, honey, organic popcorn, I should have eggs this week, and there was a rumor that there will be a baker on Sunday.

Zoe

• 11 months later...